water leak(now sorted)

A

Anonymous

Coxie said:
could the nismo uprated radiator cap have caused the pump to go or is it not related. :?:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

on a serious note, nick @ powerstation told me that the waterpupe in the gtir is a right tw@t to do. it only comes on one way if i remember correctly.

coxie

:evil: whats so funny about that comment....as the the nismo cap takes a greater pressure before it opens therefore puts more pressure on the cooling system :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :!:

whats a waterpupe anyway :? :!:

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

i also put on a nismo rad cap and i did notice more pressure in the system which has led to my rad leaking . If i put the standard cap back on it dont leak :roll: Sound to me like the water is being forced out of the overflow of the header tank and is flowing down the d/s engine mount and running down the block. If it was your waterpump it would be constantly pissing out imo.

A

AZ STE

Id say it was likely to be the water pump seems like a common fault.There is a hole in the casing of the pump pointing downwards this is a tell tail for when the seal fails.Mine kept dripping so I got it changed.Put some tissue at the base of the pump casing see if it becomes wet.Not worth continuing to run the car if it is the pump could quickly stuff your car. :wink:

coxie

thanks for answers lads.

morris-my header tank is on other side of car,glad to know the cap wasnt such a stupid suggestion :D

i have took the car off road again until i get my pump changed which will be in about 10 days.got a pump for £36 all in from nissan. 8) :twisted:

will post up the solution when done so others can benefit from the search button :roll:

zia

caps are rated in psi look at the base of the cap should have no at what pressure the valve opens i think normally 80 psi if any higher you will put stain on any component that can not handle said pressure therefore leaking as a result!

GINGA

deffo sounds like water pump, you'll probably also find it also leaks worse at idle and hardly at all while driving.
The pump can be changed with the engine in its pretty ackward but not impossible and takes a couple of hours :wink: worst bit is scrapping off the old sealant :evil:

coxie

spot on mate at idle the car pisses out water but after i had driven it the level had hardly moved. 8)

thanks for replies lads :D

Boooooost

It makes it easier if you jack up the os of the engine and undo the mount then lift it up a bit still a bit of a tw@t tho :?

coxie

water pump has now been changed and has solved the problem. pump was changed with engine in the car.

now its running right the boost has been upped to 1.3 bar :twisted: