Valve Shims

PulsarLee

Hi Guys
Just wanted to gauge preferences re valve shims, which side of the rocker does the castleated shim go as standard from the factory? as mine were removed by the company who did my head. :doh:
Just to confirm also, it is one flat and one castleated shim per rocker?

Cheers,

Lee

P

pulsarboby

yes one flat and one locator shim per rocker.
it really does not matter whether you put them on left or right side...its irrelevant

ideally i always thought it would be better to have two castlated shims per rocker then that way there would be a lot less risk of them throwing rockers

PulsarLee

castelated shim

yes one flat and one locator shim per rocker.
it really does not matter whether you put them on left or right side...its irrelevant

ideally i always thought it would be better to have two castlated shims per rocker then that way there would be a lot less risk of them throwing rockers
Cheers Bob,

I was finding myself feeling under the rocker contact points to try and feel for wear to match the castelated shim.........:der:

cheers fella, ill go for the left hand side as I seen to recall this was how it was before,just fancied going down the factory setting route.

shagspeed

Hi Guys
Just wanted to gauge preferences re valve shims, which side of the rocker does the castleated shim go as standard from the factory? as mine were removed by the company who did my head. :doh:
Just to confirm also, it is one flat and one castleated shim per rocker?

Cheers,

Lee
So there all removed from the engine? Do you know how to measure them and setup the head correctly??? The company thad did your head should have measured it all out for you I would think... I am not sure how hard it is to get shims but here in the States its about imposable .. I don't think the factory makes them any more... I just had to do my head.. I lost a rocker and found my clearances where in the .32-.40's and they had tilt on them as well. :( When you get the valves seats cut the valve will be taller making it way to tight then have the valve shaved on the top tell its in spec... In my case they where all lose I fixed mine with a 5mm hollow punch on feeler guages .. In any case I hope you know how to do the GTI-R head...
Not sure if this will help but I have a howto on how I did my head. Take it for what its worth if it helps ! Great :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lastgWJ4Ooo

Take Care all..

P

pulsarboby

weve been doing this for years and as said it does work.

the vid you put up though does make the job sound very complicated when its really quite straight forward but is time consuming.
you also use a punch which bends the thicknesser pieces where as your far better to use a joggler which will cut a perfect 6mm diameter piece which is a mega tight fit into the shim bucket, once its in there flush it wont be coming out unless the motor throws a rocker and snaps the shim.

also never use smaller than 0.10mm thicknessers as they can wear through after a period of time then it will be noisy again.

shagspeed

I have had some ware out the 1st time I did this about 8 years ago. Switched to the Craftsman ones where a harder metal.. Not sure what I used the 1st time but they where junk..
Also to if you use ones too tall .10+ in the .120-.150 I did notice there was alot of roll to the shim as it does not sit as low as it should :( catch 22 I guess but what can you do.... If it blows then I will run a 1N5 head on my 92mm piston 54C bottom end. the 1N5 flows so much better anyways and shims are easy to find here in the states for the VVL head. There the same as the harley davidson VTwin Shims from 2000 to present.

shagspeed

weve been doing this for years and as said it does work.

the vid you put up though does make the job sound very complicated when its really quite straight forward but is time consuming.
you also use a punch which bends the thicknesser pieces where as your far better to use a joggler.
BTW what Joggler do you use ??? I didn't like the punch all that much to be honest. is why I compressed them 1st and my measurements where true after the fact but never the less I would like to know what joggler you have used if you don't mind.. Take care

P

pulsarboby

the one i use is made by sealey, they will cut a 6mm diameter shim.
weve used this loads of times and it still cuts perfectly today as when it was new.

with the thicker shims you need a 5mm bolt to knock them down flat into the shim bucket (same with any of them tbh) this then pushes the sides down flat and square and they should not rock.
i would say 0.10mm is the most common size we use to bring within spec

shagspeed

the one i use is made by sealey, they will cut a 6mm diameter shim.
weve used this loads of times and it still cuts perfectly today as when it was new.

with the thicker shims you need a 5mm bolt to knock them down flat into the shim bucket (same with any of them tbh) this then pushes the sides down flat and square and they should not rock.
i would say 0.10mm is the most common size we use to bring within spec
Thank you sir for the great additional info ;) much appreciated