Valve clearance help needed

Trondelond

Ok, so I've removed the head cover today, and measured clearances. I don't know if this is considered a hot or cold motor; I got to work on it as soon as it had been parked, and ambient temperatures were around 7c I guess. The head was radiating heat while I was working.

The clearances were as follows. I measured at each end of the cam lobe, so each cam lobe/rocker arm has two columns. The measurements are of the biggest feeler gauges I could fit (in 0.05mm increments), and the ones that were real easy to get the feelers into are marked "easy fit", so they're not immensely far off eachother.

What I'm wondering is - is this ok?

I also filmed the engine at idle, but I don't know if it'll help. There is ticking from the injectors, and when I rev it I have a slight exhaust leak. But perhaps someone who knows how it's supposed to sound can help me?

[youtube]K6sHb2ONpKU[/youtube]

Any help would be appreciated here! :) Don't want everything to blow up the first time I rev the 3071 on the dyno.

Trondelond

Yeah, that's what I thought when I filmed it as well, it does get more noisy under load though, but I'm not sure if you'd hear clearance problems at idle?

Smo

Yeah, that's what I thought when I filmed it as well, it does get more noisy under load though, but I'm not sure if you'd hear clearance problems at idle?
You would hear it at idle mate, your head sounds nice and quiet really - from watching that video at least.

You did a good job of building it in the first place!

I have this issue with mine at the moment.
Its really quiet on tick over and under say 2000 revs. Once you start driving you can hear it tapping away.
Still to get rocker cover off and check when its cold, but am positive its number 4 thats tapping away.

Trondelond

The engine is actually as quiet as it seems from the video at idle, the injectors serve up the loudest tick by far. :)
It's just that it gets a tad noisy under load. But - I could be confusing the exhaust leak with a noisy head for that matter. Perhaps this is more useful, but I doubt it as the microphone is quite close to the inlet.

[youtube]l5UWm_UTw1Q[/youtube]

P

pulsarboby

those shim clearances are fine trond (especially as the engine was not completely cold)
the noise you can hear is exhaust blowing slightly....which will obviously get worse under load!

we aim to set them now at 0.10mm cold which is 0.05mm under manufacturers setting.
ive figured out that from cold that any clearance is ok as they get bigger when hotter so providing you have some clearance youll be fine.

Trondelond

Great stuff, thanks! :D
I'll look into the exhaust leak when I fit the 3071. I reused the gasket on the elbow, and I haven't fitted the magical bastard bolt on the manifold (I vow to fit it when I change the turbo), so I have some suspects.

Not that I'm complaining - but aren't you supposed to be on vacation?

watoga

Sorry for being a complete idiot, but where and how does that attach to allow valve clearances to be measured? :/

Ta,
Dave

watoga

LOL! I'll take your word for it! ;)

Seriously though, I get what you mean :) Can't have enough information though before I try and attempt this myself........................

Dave