Vacuum pipes from throttle bodies

DaveGtir

Hi,just renewing the pipes that go from the throttle bodies to the crank breather system,i've also notice that there's some extra vacuum pipes on the bodies,which are capped off by little rubber fittings.would i be able to use these to couple up to my SSQV??

Dave:thumbsup:

DaveGtir

i've found that the new tubing fouls on the breather pipe,can i just remove the original metal crank breather system that goes into the throttle bodies and cap that off???

Dave

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You can take the PCV tubing off the manifold - most of it comes off quite easily with a 10mm spanner (I think), but that bit which goes behind them is a royal pain to get out... Geoff and I just bent ours until they snapped off the bracket.

Steve makes a kit to blank the PCV which comes with caps to go on the throttle bodies if you want to do it neatly and completely.

DaveGtir

job done,just need to tighten my inlet manifold now as there was 2 nuts missing underneath!!....a job for tomorrow i think lol
thanks for your help guys...

Dave:)

darkyGTI-R

I tell you something if you didn't have the throttle bodies vac mod you would find the more expensive dumpvalves ie HKS SSQV and such like would not open very well when let off boost,that was the whole idea of this mod who ever thought of it is a genius!
But saying that i am easily pleased:)

DaveGtir

like it lol!! yeah mines a HKS ssqv it just seemed to chatter.now since doing the mod,it now snaps open instead and sounds ace!! well made up with it.

Dave:thumbsup:

darkyGTI-R

That's good news mate when i done this mod I had a Bailey dv26 yep the twin piston one the vacuum was too strong and just kept it open constantly was a right pain in the arse!
Changed to a Sard R2D2 and wow chatters on low boost and a proper whoooooosh on full well impressed with this mod:)

olliecast

chavs :doh::)

any difference in performance?

or a:

on a more serious note, i got rid of all i could when i had my inlet manifold off. The less pipes there are, the less there is to split and leak. Because i`ve never heard of anyone balancing their throttle bodies (and a few of the "older" members confirmed), i took off the brass hoses and tapped the hole and locktighted some stainless bolts in.

Last edited:

Trondelond

chavs :doh::)

any difference in performance?

or a:

on a more serious note, i got rid of all i could when i had my inlet manifold off. The less pipes there are, the less there is to split and leak. Because i`ve never heard of anyone balancing their throttle bodies (and a few of the "older" members confirmed), i took off the brass hoses and tapped the hole and locktighted some stainless bolts in.
I have no idea if it was better. Subjectively it was. But I can't back it up with anything. It was a fun mod that kept me busy for an hour. :D

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've got no problem with mine plumbed-up the conventional way. - I don't need it making any more noise; silence is golden.

olliecast

My ssqv sounds like a bloody turkey. Sooner I get a recirc kit the better ( need the fix the damn welder fits and get a pipe welded onto the intake)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If I saw a recirc one going cheap on eBay, I'd probably do the same! - I'm half tempted to take it out and just let the compressor surge, but the recirc option is definitely my prefered path.

Ive done away with most of my vac pipes too.
Only have the 2.
1 is a direct feed to the FPR then the 2nd one goes to the Boost sensor for the AVCR and then forwards onto the boost gauge in side.
Currently running without a Dump valve at the moment, and the chatter noise is immense :).
Not good for the turbo mind u, but its on its last leags anyways :)