uprated coil

N

N1SMO

Has anyone uprated the coil and ignition system to generate a bigger spark so the plug gap can be increased for a better burn.
If so what is needed and how easy is it.

A

Anonymous

N1SMO said:
Has anyone uprated the coil and ignition system to generate a bigger spark so the plug gap can be increased for a better burn.
If so what is needed and how easy is it.
i made a few enquiries a while back but it`s something that doesn`t need uprating.
i`ve still got a completely std ignition system,except for the plugs :wink:

N

N1SMO

i take it you had to close the plug gap down on your iridium plugs at high boost as mine kept blowing out the spark at 1.5 bar

ps are you the other gtir that sam has been talking about.

A

Anonymous

N1SMO said:
i take it you had to close the plug gap down on your iridium plugs at high boost as mine kept blowing out the spark at 1.5 bar

ps are you the other gtir that sam has been talking about.
as the boost levels increase the closer the gaps have had to be.there was 1 year at santa pod where the spark was getting blown out by the 2 bar boost but for whatever reason it has only happened that once.

when i was on sam`s private {mapping} airfield,you`ll find out soon enough,we saw 1.99bar iirc and it was as smooth as you could wish for :lol:

probably :D

N

N1SMO

hope you did not get caught by any photographers on the airfield.
ill be on it on Thursday to do some tweeking for rr sunday

A

Anonymous

N1SMO said:
hope you did not get caught by any photographers on the airfield.
ill be on it on Thursday to do some tweeking for rr sunday
if i did,they`re too late to get me :lol:
there`s plenty of space between the 2 fixed 1`s to get well into 3 fig`s as you`ll find out 8)

A

AJ4

no matter how big your coil is, the voltage required to jump the gap will be always be the minimum necessary. Be wary of uprated coils that advertise 1000's of gigavolts. What you need is for the spark to be longer in duration to get a better burn. The coil supplies a finite amount of energy, if you have a wider spark gap you will have a shorter duration and vice-versa and its the duration that counts. Better to have two seperate smaller ones that charge fast than one big slow one. The only other way to upgrade is to minimise the ignition losses, ie use low loss ht leads, have a good distributer with small gaps etc.

If you suffer from spark blow out, try turning your plugs so that the gap faces away from the inlet. Wont make much difference in a 16v but it marginally sheilds the spark.