Turbo refurb

PulsarLee

Hi everyone,

just thought id gauge opinions on refurbished turbos. seems that most of the stuff ive read leaves me feeling that they never last, however after speaking with a few companies, midland turbo, turbo dynamics etc, they seem to be very up beat about rebuilding my std turbo whish I believe may be getting ready for new seals and bearings..... about £ 180 i was quoted. Also, I was advised that there are many 'bolt-ons available such as increased compressor housing and 360 degree thrust bearings (£60) Any thoughts guys / experiences of Midland Turbos?

Cheers,

Lee

bob the builder

i got mine done at turbo force in preston. top guys
full rebuild with new impellor and shaft,bearings was £350. came out better than new
£180 sounds a bit cheap.
fubar andy had his done at the same place as me a couple of years ago i think and his is still going strong

PulsarLee

Thanks bob,

180 was just for the seals and bearings, think they said around 400 for the full rebuild with impellor.

Ill take a look into turbo force sounds good. Guess im in a similar quandry as many before me.lol.new vs recon!

Was your rebuilt to standard spec or did you go for a 360 degree thrust bearing? and what boost did you run on track days?

Thanks,

Lee

skiddusmarkus

Whenever people post up about rebuilds, they always seem to end up paying twice as much as they initially expected due to this and that also needing doing.Not saying they are being scammed, just best to budget on it costing more than the 1st price.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I think it's safe to say that you can't really know what the rebuild will cost until it's apart; it's rarely as cheap as the "from" price, but if you caught it early enough it may get lucky.

bob the builder

turbo force will check it first then give you the final price before work starts.so no extra costs.
yes i just got standard rebuild but they will do the 360 thrust conversion i think but not sure how much.
i run betwwen 1.2 to 1.35 b on my track days.

PulsarLee

Thanks,

Bob, sounds like a good service. I'd love to watch the rebuild take place and the balancing etc....... ill give them a call tomoz as im only looking to run 0.8 - 1 bar max on std internals once the car is run in.

Cheers

Lee

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Can you go to a BB core? If/when mine dies I'd be interested in that, but I suspect a new core is effectively buying half a new turbo anyway.