transferbox bearing

dobby

Ok this maybe a silly question but is the inner race of this bearing meant to turn freely? Mine is solid. The diff spins in it which is obviously wrong.

I have had problems with noises since fitting the modena diff. I never had it shimmed properly but thats my fault. The noise has been so bad now that couldnt I drive it with out shitting myself. I stripped it today and found no play in the bearing attached to the diff but some play with the bearing it the picture. This could explain why it was so difficult to remove the driveshaft as it was not level with the shaft. I am getting another transfer box to start again but I was going to put the other diff back in to try and see if the diff was at fault but whats the point if this bearing doesnt turn. What do you think.

Cheers

dobby

I put my driveshafts in for checking and it seems that the outer cv joints on both driveshafts are not healthy. Could these be causing a loud noise when driving? I did the check from the workshop manual and working my shimming out at .0255 inches but the shims in the car are .0322. Is that bad?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

red reading

yes it's bad you have over pre-loaded the bearings,looking at the picture the flange looks like it has worn that the bearing sit's on.

red reading

cv joints when worn out make a metalic clicking when turning and next to no noise in a stright line (unless they are proper fubar'd)

dobby

Ok cheers Danny. I was getting some metal clicking when turning but loads of droning which must be the bearing. After measuring the shim gap it was kinda pointing to what you said. It says in the manual the play should be .0020-.0079 inch and I went .0067 too tight. I have learned my lesson well. I will shim it properly with the new transfer box.

Thanks for the advice.

red reading

You do realise if the bearing has seized and the diff was spinning inside it then you will have possible wrecked the machined surface on it,making it vitually impossible to use again.

dobby

I have thought about it. I just compared the sizes with a pair of calipers and they are both the same at 59mm. The finish on the diff looks spotless so I may have dodge a bullet there. My only worry is the teeth inside the diff. It still performed as it should. It will be a crying shame and a big waste of my money if it is furbar'd. Heres a pic.

dobby

Ok it turns out that the bit I thought was siezed was not. The bearing was fine but for the benefit of the doubt I put another transferbox on. I also had my driveshafts reconditioned and on the test drive tonight the noise is still there. It could the drivers side wheel bearing as there is play but I have never heard one to be as bad as mine. Failing that it may be the gearbox. Yipee.

I just love pulsars...