Transfer box oil seal

C

charlie

Has anybody done the oil seal on the back of the transfer box where the prop comes out? There's a mist of oil on the underside of my chassis around it so i guess it needs changing- so im gonna have to get it done.

Cheers!

C

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It's on my to do list. Mine's been leaking for over a year. :oops: I just keep topping it up.

Mine only seems to leak when I top it up :roll: :p
Or when I thrash it into 3 figures, then I get oil on the tailgate.

C

charlie

I'd top it up if i could get the damn plug out!! how do you get it out?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
3/8th (I think) square drive on a universal joint on a 5" extension on a ratchet handle and turn anti clockwise :wink:

G

GartracS2

Its easy to do. Its unlikely to be the actual seal dont forget that the box has to be sealed to the transaxle with sealant over time this degrades for some reason though its fine on sumps and gearboxes. Be mindful theyre heavy as s hit.

G

GartracS2

So other than the SEAL it amy just need RESEALING to the gearbox ;)
When you undo the bolts on the NS DRIVESHAFT just pull the whole shaft out or youll end up pulling the transfer box back about a foot before it drops lol.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Mine is definately coming out the the end where the propshaft joins on, so I guess it's that seal. :?

G

GartracS2

oh right, it shouldnt be too hard, ive never done one im hoping you can pull out the seal from the outside, should be easy. give you some advice, Nissans dont use seal stops so use a seal driver or a socket thats bigger than the seals outer diameter so you can hit hard onto the diff housing this will prevent the seal from going in too far, if your in by even 0.5mm too far it will p i s s out mate.

Halfshaft seals are the same.

mreguest

hello,

question - transferbox seal that the propshaft comes through, can it be removed from the outside, i.e. if i unbolt the propshaft will i see another bolt down the middle which lets me take the rest of the shaft out, then pull the seal out, whack another one in and put it back together? or is the seal pushed in from inside the box?

(i've done crank pulley one before so i get the general gist of things...)

many thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Adam

alphadrex

Hey everyone,

Fresh to the Pulsar world here, so forgive me but I've searched and searched and cannot find an answer, so I'm pulling a thread from the dead here, but has anyone got the Part No. for the seal the OP was referring to? Mine is leaking as well. Thought I had the right seal (fellow I bought it from left it in the glove box and said he was gonna change it eventually. Went to change it last night, got it all apart and found the seal to be the wrong one. Fortunately, I didn't pull the seal, then check. ha ha. Any help on this would be definitely appreciated.

alphadrex