tracking/bumpsteer or track rod ends?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I've already got the GASXW14x1.5 fitted and the difference in quality is very noticeable. There a machined body for a start and not cast like the cheaper ones, the bearing itself is alot tighter and is made from a completely different material, they are proper motorsport bearings not just bearings.

I recon John Handley just want to sell something they have on the shelf and cant be bothered to get just 2 bearings in from Germany.

Shaun

:wink: Fair comment Steve,i can only go on what i have seen,so cant comment on the other rosejoints that you have :wink: But before paying over £60 for 2 rosejoints i'd like to see how much longer they would last over the £34 pound ones :wink:

youngsyp

Shaun,

Just to clarify things here, I believe Steve has the GAXSW14x1.5MS
fitted, not the 'normal' GAXSW14x1.5 ! The 2 parts are completely different, the former (MS designated) being specifically designed for motorsport applications and as a result, a lot better made !

Cheers

Paul

C

Crazy

Shaun mate the number was wrong :lol:

Its 01902 898560 8)

And neither company has any of them in stock :roll:

But the company Steve recommended can get them in 4-5days :D

gtirmouse

yeah got play in mine too and its wearing the o/s/f tyre out, better get me some new ones, but... what are gordon kay sleeves

skiddusmarkus

I need a new trackrod end for the MOT.I have the original Powerstation bumpsteer kit fitted, what's the difference between those and the Gordon Kaye ones?Can I put the rosejointed ones above into the PS sleeves?Will the garage(just your everyday run of the mill type) be able to set them so the car drives the same as before ie less understeer?

ChrisS

I need a new trackrod end for the MOT.I have the original Powerstation bumpsteer kit fitted, what's the difference between those and the Gordon Kaye ones?Can I put the rosejointed ones above into the PS sleeves?Will the garage(just your everyday run of the mill type) be able to set them so the car drives the same as before ie less understeer?
I previously had a gordon kaye kit. Bought a second hand one (not sure if PS or not) with new bearings and found that the sleaves needed machining as the replacement bearings thread was bigger than the origional. The bearings themselves (newer ones in this thread were a hell of a lot more substantial than the orgional ones with the kit.

skiddusmarkus

Kirko made some, he posted yesterday so still active.

I have my car up on the ramps needing a new one atm and am in a bit of a pickle as the autosport bearings I bought don't fit the powerstation sleeves as said above.Looks like I'll have to have them machined out to fit.It looks like the sleeve is thick enough to accomodate it.

Chris- what was the internal bore of the the sleeve you had?Mine looks like M12 but hasn't been measured yet.

skiddusmarkus

To replace the rod ends go to www.autosport-bearings.co.uk You will need the GASXW14x1.5 @£27.14 + vat each or the GASW14x1.5 @£31 odd each plus vat. These will screw into the old rod end sleeve once you have removed the old rod end (if you have the Gordon Kay kit) You will also need to get the RRS 8 (RDDS 8 ) boots for these at £2.53 + vat each. When fitting, make sure you fill the boots with grease and the rod ends will last a lot longer.

Yes, to go back to the normal rod ends would be pointless and probably more expensive than the above. Also, if you do the above with the grease in the boots, the new rod ends will last a lot longer !!

Cheers

Paul
Autosport specificly told me NOT to grease the bearings as it shortens their life.Old post but the info is still relevant.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
My Kirko kit and the auto sport bearings have lasted many happy years of motoring and still going strong. Shame the same can't be said about my block

watoga

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but has anyone tried these rod ends from McGill Motorsports?

M14 x 1.5mm pitch track rod end

They have quite high static load strength (65.8 kN vs the GAXSW14's 57.0 kN) and are cheap at only £12.95 (if you go through their eBay shop). Also, has anyone found where the boots/seals (RDDS8, etc.) can be purchased individually?

Many thanks,
Dave