tracking/bumpsteer or track rod ends?

mohsan

went to get 4w tracking done, and they refused as they found loadsa play in the front wheels and said that the trackrod ends had gone. I provisionally id say last 6/7 months ago had the forums bumpsteer kit fitted. now im thinking what to do, go for a bumpsteer again or just track rod ends or are they just pointles?As i take it the bumpsteer replacers the track rod ends and is a improvement also

Moved to Tuning/Upgrades

SunOnGTiR

This happened to me ,mate :cry:
Couldn't pass mot,too much 'play'.
Had to get new,standard track end rods.pair.
Asked ps about them,had to send them back and maybe wait?Didn't.
I do miss the bumper steer kit :( ...............

K

kizzyturbo4x4

i think i found out something about this yesterday...
the bumpsteerkit must be tighten in 2 operations.
i had endplay in the bumpsteer joints yesterday... not today,
and the bumpsteer kit is still on.
now its just asembling the whiteline pack and get aligned again.
:D

youngsyp

To replace the rod ends go to www.autosport-bearings.co.uk You will need the GASXW14x1.5 @£27.14 + vat each or the GASW14x1.5 @£31 odd each plus vat. These will screw into the old rod end sleeve once you have removed the old rod end (if you have the Gordon Kay kit) You will also need to get the RRS 8 (RDDS 8 ) boots for these at £2.53 + vat each. When fitting, make sure you fill the boots with grease and the rod ends will last a lot longer.

Yes, to go back to the normal rod ends would be pointless and probably more expensive than the above. Also, if you do the above with the grease in the boots, the new rod ends will last a lot longer !!

Cheers

Paul

C

c11gtr

i will have to see what mine are like they have been on a year this week but MOT not due till june.will let you know outcome

L

Little Erve

Might seem like a stupid question, but how do you know if the tie rod ends are stuffed?

Apparently a couple of folks in Oz have also had the wheel hub hole for the wheel bearing go oval shaped and hence have the bearing wobble around in the hub.

youngsyp

Little Erve said:
Might seem like a stupid question, but how do you know if the tie rod ends are stuffed?
The steering will feel a bit vague for a start ! To check it, just put the steering on full lock. Look at the rod end and get someone to rock the steering wheel from side to side. You'll soon notice the 'play' in them. you'll also hear a knocking noise from that general direction, most likely !

Cheers

Paul

ChrisS

How many people out there need the rubber seals? Autosports minimum order is £15 so thats 6 seals. If theres anyone else that needs them i'll put an order in and send them on.

C

Crazy

I need a set of rubbers :shock:

(Now that sounded wrong) :oops:

I need a set of rubber seals :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Little Erve said:
Jack the front up and try rocking the wheel at the 3 and 9 o' clock position, if you have alot of play in only that position they're shot. Just try looking at them while you rock the wheel to confirm any movement.

6 and 12 o' clock is most likely the bottom ball joint and any position will be the wheel bearing (or possibly but unlikely a combination of the 2 above)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
You can get the rubber boots (seals) Demon Tweeks. My car is used on a daily basis, I've had my Gordon Kay rod ends on the car for over 6 months (rubber boots filled with greese) and there as good as new still.

L

Little Erve

Fast Guy said:
Little Erve said:
Jack the front up and try rocking the wheel at the 3 and 9 o' clock position, if you have alot of play in only that position they're shot. Just try looking at them while you rock the wheel to confirm any movement.

6 and 12 o' clock is most likely the bottom ball joint and any position will be the wheel bearing (or possibly but unlikely a combination of the 2 above)
Thanks Fast Guy :)

That seems obvious now :oops: at least I'll easily remember it :)

Shaun

:D Hi guy's,just a bit of an update,i also have Gordons kit and have been very pleased with it :D But the rose joints now have wear in them due to me having a bit of a dip(4inches lower than the footpath :shock: ) :lol: in my driveway, so now the time has come to change them after 10 months :D If some of you remember,when i bought my kit last year,i also managed to track some proper rubber boots for it and passed on the info to a few of you guy's 8) So today i gave John Handley bearings a bell again to get a price on the above quoted rosejoints as i thought at £28+vat each was a bit expensive and was told that the 'SLIGHTLY uprated ones'(GASXW14x1.5MS) would have to be 'shipped from Germany'and 'would be very expensive',but the GASW14x1.5MS that came with Gordons kit were in stock at just £14 odd+vat each 8) 8) So if you want to keep Gordons bumpsteer kit and save some money when changing the rosejoints give John Handley Bearings a bell on 01902898856 and just mention my name 'Shaun' from the GTIR Owners club and i'm sure they will sort you out 8)

P

petegtir

hmm this sounds like my rod ends have gone. i had a quick look and they look faily old and standard.

so what do i need to buy (exactly, as i'm new to all this) to get this gordon kit and improve the handling at the same time as sticking on some rubber boots to protect the new joints?

Shaun

stevepudney said:
www.autosport-bearings.co.uk have the GASXW14x1.5 (@£27.14 + vat each) in stock (not shipped from Germany) and can get them to you the next day. These ends will screw straight into the Gordon Kay sleeve.
Hi Steve,i understand that they have them in stock but they are £28+vat each :shock: Whereas the ones that come with Gordons kit are only £14 odd+vat so i'm just giving people a cheaper option.John Handley also advised me that there wasnt a fantastic difference between the 2 parts and the more expensive one wouldnt last that much longer than the cheaper one :wink: