Trackday tyres

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I’m after some feedback if possible?

I’m looking into some new tyres for next year when I’m out and about on track and was wondering if some of you could offer me your feedback on tyres you’ve used whether it’s good or bad?

I’m not looking for “my mate uses” or “I’ve heard these tyres are...” because that show’s you’ve never used them and cannot offer true feedback!
I’m looking for feedback from people that used their tyres on track rather than road use as most of my time will be spent on track.
I’m also happy to hear from others that use tyres in sprints or aggressive driving environments.

Obviously tyres like Yokohama A048R and Toyo R888’s are pretty good, but I’m looking towards other/lesser brands like Yokohama Parada Spec 2, Kumho V70a or Hancook RS2’s.
To be honest any feedback on tyres you’ve used on track whether is has been R888’s or Yokohama S306’s would be great. What the wear rate was like, noise, grip in the dry and wet, how they coped when hammered on track and would you buy them again?

Here are a few brands that I’m looking at the moment:

• Falken FK452
• Kumho V70a
• Yokohama Parada

Feed me your information… :thumb:

P

pulsarboby

well my mate uses solid tyres and they never go flat and the wear rate is fantastic:-D

other than slicks in the dry i use nankangs and find there as good as anything else but start going off after about 15 minutes in the heat on track!
there not as grippy as the r888s on a dry track but are not far short
however they are excellent in the wet and the grip levels are outstanding far better than 8888888s
they also have an excellent wear rate so are very good vfm

MarkTurbo

I bought a set of Hankook RS2's the otherday to try out on my car. I was going to go for a set of R888's or DZ02G's but thought i'd try these first as i'd heard they were a good track tyre & they were quite cheap at just under £70 a corner compared to £100+ for the others.

I did a trackday at castle combe a couple weeks ago which gave me the chance to try them out. In the morning the track was wet and they were still quite new so as expected i was sliding about all over the place :lol: Once the track had dried and they started to get scrubbed in a bit they just got better and better. They're obviously a harder compound than R888's etc and take a couple laps to warm up but once they do they grip really well, at the end of a 20min session they were nice and sticky and hadnt overheated.

Ive done a few trackdays before at combe using yoko A520's & A539's and the sidewalls on the passenger side front tyre just end up a mess after prolonged hard cornering but the RS2's stiffer sidewalls stood upto it all day without having to swap the rears to the front as i've done previously.

I'll be buying a set of R888's/DZ02G or DZ03G's early next year for sprints/hillclimbs etc so will have to see how they compare ;-)

Mr GTiR

Just out of interest, what tyre pressure do you run when on track or does it depend on conditions?

MarkTurbo

Just out of interest, what tyre pressure do you run when on track or does it depend on conditions?
I usually run the fronts at 30-32 and rears at 28-30, by the time you've done a few laps they'll be at least 5-6psi higher. That seems best for grip but if your a tight f00ker and just want to make your tyres last stick 40psi in them :lol:

neil240z

if its for track use, Paradas are very good, i put some on my mates audi track car and it gripped well, I work in the tyre industry and what you have to know is tyres do not perfom the same on all cars, also tyre pressure is very important and is dependent on suspension settings and tyre profile and tyre brand and compound, paradas have a fairly soft sidewall so if you have suspension like Andy Chan used to have or still has you would probably run around 24psi on track days an 30 on the road for softer suspension you would run more.
for dry track use, unless your running a slick or semi slick, slicks have very strong sidewalls!, the parada is really soft and grips well but wont last very long.

cheers

P

pulsarboby

no wonder 70 yearolds get past you!

:lol::lol:yeah he was in his late 70s aswell i reckon. he would have still done me though even if i had of put the slicks on, his car was just much quicker on the straights.

seriously though those nankangs arent bad tyres at all and grip in the wet is unbelievable

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I did a trackday at castle combe a couple weeks ago which gave me the chance to try them out. In the morning the track was wet and they were still quite new so as expected i was sliding about all over the place :lol: Once the track had dried and they started to get scrubbed in a bit they just got better and better. They're obviously a harder compound than R888's etc and take a couple laps to warm up but once they do they grip really well, at the end of a 20min session they were nice and sticky and hadnt overheated.

I've also used the RS2's and found them to be quite good on track for the money you can pick them up for.
I did find that after 6-7 hard laps they would start to show signs of fatigue but apart from that they were spot on.
At the moment they are my current choice, but a few others had mentioned that the Yokohama Parada's were good fro track (more grip) but had a poorer wear rate!?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Unfortunately no; well not that I’m aware of. Was looking at them the other day via the net. I had high hopes until I noticed that they were all over sea’s reviews. Shame they look the part too.

Do you use them, if so are they any good?

nickr

yes, i use them on my current gti-r in canada. great autox tire, i haven't used them on track days but apparently they'll go a lil slippery after 3 or 4 hard laps.

very very stiff sidewall, tread is actually a bit wider than specified, its closer to a 215/225 in 205 width. noisy, terrible in pooling water, but fantastic in the dry. they'll howl at the limit but then give way really quick, so its sometimes tricky to find that limit.

I've also autox'd on them often on my old crx. it's one of the most popular street class autox tires around here. cheap too.

www.discounttiredirect.com has them often on sale pretty cheap. http://www.sr20forum.com/discount-tire-direct/242225-get-30%25-off-your-discount-tire-direct-purchase.html#post2366593