Track Days - FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
What happens at car trackdays then?
Car trackdays are a way of enjoying yourself, and testing the speed and handling abilities of your car in a safe, controlled environment away from the public highway.

Do I need a race-licence?
Not if you are just doing straight forward car trackdays, but you must take your ordinary driving licence and of course it must be valid. One point worth noting is that if you are going to a day where you will be driving either the circuits or the organisers own cars, they might not allow you out if your banned or currently have six or more points on your licence.

Will I need a crash helmet?
Yes, you most certainly will and don't take any chances and under no circumstances should you contemplate digging out that old chipped helmet. If there's any doubt over your helmets' integrity, get a new one. This is your life we're talking about don't forget and lid can save your life. Some track day organisers will supply helmets, but check first.

I haven't got any overalls, does that matter?
The emphasis is on comfort, especially for a rookie. It will be a long and tiring day, and no-one will be expected to turn up looking like Jensen Button! If you can afford to buy a decent set of overalls all well and good. Remember that safety and comfort are paramount and although a race circuit by its very nature will bring an element of competitiveness, there are no prizes to be won so a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt will be fine. Arms must be covered at all times if you are in an open top car. We recommend a couple of pieces of 'proper' equipment, which are race boots and driving gloves, as they do make driving easier.

Does my car have to be roadworthy?
In most cases yes definitely, If your car has a MOT then that's fine. The car has to be of a safe standard.

What about all the flags, do I have to learn them?
Don't panic as the marshals have ways of making them understood! You will quickly pick up the meanings of the flags. The most frequent ones you will come across are:

YELLOW flag means that there's danger ahead of you so take extra care.

RED flag means there's been a serious incident and the sessions have been stopped, so slow down to a crawl and make your way back to the pits or as directed.

YELLOW and RED checkered flag means there's oil on the circuit so obviously take care.

BLUE flag means that another car wants to overtake you.

BLACK flag means you have been naughty or there's something wrong with your car, you need to come into the pits asap.

Will my standard insurance cover me for car trackdays?
Probably not, unless you are very lucky. If you damage your pride and joy you are on your own, and although the organisers will have insurance it will only be for Public Liability. You can get a quote for 1-day track insurance on-line: http://www.moris.co.uk/pages/trackdayformcig.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.