Track day advice !

johnsy

im attending this years club trackday and was looking for some good sound advice from the seasoned driver/owners out there,

this will be my first ever TD:oops:, got to pop my cherry sum time , so any tips from wot to wear down to car setup will be much appreciated!

looking forward to this event :thumbsup:

MarkTurbo

Basically, wear helmet, arms need to be covered, check all levels (oil, water, brake fluid, p/s fluid etc) wheel nuts, tire pressures. Check theres nothing loose inside the car, the last thing you want is something rolling around in the car that could get jammed under any of the pedals ;-)

On the track don't worry about trying to keep up with people, start off slowly and build your speed up as you get to know the track. And always keep an eye on your mirrors for quicker cars.

johnsy

tyre pressures?
amount of fuel?
will there be any where to leave petol cans(full), trolley jack that sorta thing

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
tyre pressures?
amount of fuel?
will there be any where to leave petol cans(full), trolley jack that sorta thing

You can leave all your equipment with the rest of us while you go out on track, I've left equipment to one side and full fuel cans at track days and no-one has bothered to lift anything.

Tyres between 20-30psi, but you need to fine tune what works on your car and your driving style, there is no set pressures as such.

As for fuel just fill the car up, there is no point of half or quarter filling it as you'll be spending most of your time then filling it up.

There is a Shell garage a few miles away, but I can give directions on the day.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
is this lid suitable?

http://www.openfacehelmets.co.uk/Spada-Edge-Motion-Black_ARCOW~1.aspx

gloves yah or nah?

do you have to wear long sleeves?

are disposable bar-b-que's allowed ? lol
I've got a basic open face helmet with a BS6658 Type A Approved stamp on it (basic requirements) anything like that or higher then you are fine.

Yes you must cover your arms and legs.

Gloves? Whatever makes you happy, I don't but I know some people who do...

Not sure about bbq's but to be honest I wouldn't bother anyway, too much hassle and equipment to hump around.

Anyway last year we had a load of snacks throughout the day which seem'd to sort everyone over.

Also there is a cafe on site if you want some food etc...

What will I need to bring?

Your car, a helmet and for some venues a valid road driving licence. If you do not own a helmet you can hire one from £10 per day. Please note numbers are limited so let us know early. Alternatively, a helmet can be purchased from most motorcycle shops, car aftermarket traders, etc from as little as £50.

Will I slow other cars down, or will they slow me down?

No and no. Track days are non-competitive events that enforce overtaking by consent only regulations. Therefore it does not matter how fast or slow you or your car are - everybody has to overtake on the straights, and with both cars consent.

Will I get plenty of track time?

Yes. limited numbers both in attendance and out on track at any one time ensures maximum, quality track time.

Is tuition available?

Yes, tuition is available from ARDS (association of racing driver schools) instructors.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

you dont need arms covered unless your in an open top car, not with most companies anyway.
ive got a few helmets should you want to borrow one
if its a hot day then you may find gloves will help as stops your hands slipping on wheel but far from a necessity

just go out and enjoy yourself dan dont worry about how fast others are, its your day you paid for and 'as said' check your mirrors especially coming out of a bend onto a straight as people will be lining you up ready to overtake so just let them go then concentrate on getting back on the racing line

people should only overtake to your left and not in a bend but at cadwell that seems to go out the window especially on long bends so check whats behind you at all times
they will explain all at the briefing on the day

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
you dont need arms covered unless your in an open top car, not with most companies anyway.

You'll find that most companies will require you to cover your arms and legs Bob, I've not used a track day provider that's not had that in their specifications or FAQ's about covering up.

Whether you choose to follow that or they enforce that requirement is a different matter.
;-)

What clothing should I wear?
Other than the points indicated above (helmet, etc.), no specific safety clothing is required.Some customers choose to invest in race suits, flameproof clothing and race boots. Arms and legs must be covered at all times.

John

Watch your temps very closely, if your running pretty much a standard cooling setup and higher power then be prepared to do a few hard laps then a cooling lap or even visit the pits every so often. Aslong as you dont get carried away you'll be fine!

johnsy

iv got an oil cooler and im running 2 rad fans which bob is gonna sort so there running constantlyon the day,

if i can afford it ill upgrade the rad, but that'll be a last minute thing if iv got the cash!

im wondering how my brakes are going to fair up though ,is it worth re-fitting the cooling ducts behind the bumper

John

Cooling ducts will make a minimal difference I would say, you will feel it through the pedal when they are beyond there best! Again best plan of action is maybe 15mins on track then 5mins cooling down, depending on what the days schedule is like.

P

pulsarboby

You'll find that most companies will require you to cover your arms and legs Bob, I've not used a track day provider that's not had that in their specifications or FAQ's about covering up.

Whether you choose to follow that or they enforce that requirement is a different matter. ;-)

i stand corrected then andy, gotta say though that ive never ever been asked to cover my arms at a trackday but guess theres always gonna be a first time.
i even did brands last year in the megabusa with a t shirt on but the bugs flying into your arms start getting painfull after awhile:lol: so i put a sweatshirt on for my own protection from the flying critters.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
i stand corrected then andy, gotta say though that ive never ever been asked to cover my arms at a trackday but guess theres always gonna be a first time.
i even did brands last year in the megabusa with a t shirt on but the bugs flying into your arms start getting painfull after awhile:lol: so i put a sweatshirt on for my own protection from the flying critters.
I've been pulled at Castle Coombe, Oulton and Donington about not covering up, but once on track I just pulled my sleeves up and I'm away.

I'd say its more to do with "at least we've mentioned it" gag and then they are covered, but either way I always come with something to cover my arms and legs, just in case they are anal about it :thumb:

Braveheart

Watch your temps very closely, if your running pretty much a standard cooling setup and higher power then be prepared to do a few hard laps then a cooling lap or even visit the pits every so often. Aslong as you dont get carried away you'll be fine!
Lots of good advice already! Should read this thread myself before my next track outing... ;-)
You may want to take a tyre pressure gauge (to record) and pump to adjust pressures... make sure you have plenty brake pad life. be comfortable and safe in your clothing and in your driving position. You may want to draw your seat forward a notch or two as it will give you more control and help you from rolling in your seat.
Don't get carried away and have a great time....:thumbsup: