tomei or jun cams?

S

str_motorsport

hi all, i am going to buy a set of new cams...
should i go for the jun 272, 11 mm lift with jun springs and retainers or for a set of 270° 12,5mm lift tomei cams with ferrea valve springs and retiners?
which is the best cam=toimei or jun?
jun has less lift....
thanks

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Depends entirely on your engine and turbo setup and how you want the car to run and how you want to use the car and how far you are going to rev it, turbo and engine spec dependant...

You can't just ask such a question...

Cams will make or break and engine i.e cams can make your car run amazingly well or like a bag of poo....

Need more detail from you matey...

Rishi

bracpan

Rishi

If it was for torque and quick responce what would be the best? I would be asking a simular question in the future. As i will need a quick responsive engine not a high power with lag.

Phil.

Keira

bracpan said:
Rishi

If it was for torque and quick responce what would be the best? I would be asking a simular question in the future. As i will need a quick responsive engine not a high power with lag.

Phil.
personally i'd stick with the standard cams, some adjustable verniers and some head work, the standard cams work very well on the gtir upto 400ish bhp, almost anything off the shelf is going to start moving the power band further up the revs, the way you dont want it to go :( .

at a guess your best bet would be to speak to a cam manufacturer as you may have to go custom 8)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
deisel weasel said:
almost anything off the shelf is going to start moving the power band further up the revs, the way you dont want it to go :( .
I want it :lol:
I'm already crossing the line past my peak power rpm, so unless I change the gearbox, moving the rev band higher up is the way to go :D

Rishi

deisel weasel said:
bracpan said:
Rishi

Phil.
personally i'd stick with the standard cams, some adjustable verniers and some head work, the standard cams work very well on the gtir upto 400ish bhp, almost anything off the shelf is going to start moving the power band further up the revs, the way you dont want it to go :( .

at a guess your best bet would be to speak to a cam manufacturer as you may have to go custom 8)

Standard cams are very good for low down torque and power but i think something with a little more lift with the higher flowing turbo would be better

If you are just after all low down grunt and quick spool then something like a GT2871R with some 256deg or 260deg with 10.8mm - 11mm lift would be good...

With a low down torque setup a stroker kit is always going to help too...

For a Custom Kit speak to Kent Cams as they do some decent stuff and prices are reasonable...

Rishi

Keira

Fast Guy said:
And which one for peak power at 7-7500rpm? :wink:
the tomei 12.5 require more work to fit :wink:

the jun 272's with less lift or similar will go straight in, iirc the safe maximum lift on standard gtir springs is 11.6ish, although i think ginga managed to squeeze some hks, 12mm 272's in there from what al was saying the otherday...

piper do a 278 degree 11.13mm lift cam, rev range 2300-7600 which will go straight in giving a 30bhp increase over the standard set up 8)

Rishi

Fast Guy said:
And which one for peak power at 7-7500rpm? :wink:

The TOMEI 270deg 12.5mm lift would be ideal for that top end power with a decent turbo to match...

The JUN 272deg, 11.8mm lift kit is also a good choice...

I'd say for a GT30 serie turbos i would use the JUN kit...

If using a larger turbo setup then you would benefit from the TOMEI's higher lift...

Rishi

Rishi

deisel weasel said:
the tomei 12.5 require more work to fit :wink:

Yes they do... I should know... i'm using the TOMEI 280deg 12.5mm lift Kit... :shock: :twisted: :twisted:

Rishi

Keira

RishiGTiR said:
Standard cams are very good for low down torque and power but i think something with a little more lift with the higher flowing turbo would be better
fully agree, definately more lift, staying away from long durations would be top choice 8)

just i cant think of any off the top of my head :?

Rishi

deisel weasel said:
RishiGTiR said:
fully agree, definately more lift, staying away from long durations would be top choice 8)

just i cant think of any off the top of my head :?

Hits the grand old age of 30 and starts forgetting things... :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Rishi

Keira

RishiGTiR said:
Yes they do... I should know... i'm using the TOMEI 280deg 12.5mm lift Kit... :shock: :twisted: :twisted:
doesn't the spring seat need machining so the spring sits lower to prevent it from binding ?

Rishi

deisel weasel said:
RishiGTiR said:
doesn't the spring seat need machining so the spring sits lower to prevent it from binding ?

Yep... You need to machine the seat...

Rishi

Keira

would be interesting if someone didn't bother their @rse to do it :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol:

iirc, memory is letting me down again :lol: the ferrera springs are de based which are longer than standard gtir springs, cant remember what the difference is now but its enough to cause all sorts of problems if you chucked them straight in the gtir head :cry: :cry:

S

str_motorsport

Ferrea has a kit for the sentra se-r turbo which should work on the gti-r head....there was also a group buy on them in the past...
the kit has new springs, new titanium retainers and spring locators and allow 13,5mm lift...
is that correct?will this kit fit straight in the gti-r head with tomei 270 cams or the head still have to be machine like rishi has done?
basically i will run a turbonetics turbo, t3\t4 hybrid, 63 turbine a\r, t04 compressor cover.
i want to rev it to8000 rpm.
should i go for tomei or jun cams?

Keira

found what i couldn't remember earlier.

GTiR 54C head : installed spring height is 38mm,

DE 53J head : installed spring height is 40mm.

you need to get the DE spring in the gtir head to the same installed height as the DE for them to work,

S

str_motorsport

stil lgetting consufed on the ferrea valves....someone from the forum is using them and i used to think that they were direct fit...

my biggest concern about tomei cams is that they do not offer springs to work with they cams....this can mean that theyr hi lift cams are not so tested because they don't have springs to suit....

i think i will go for some jun gear.....i don't want to have problems and i don't want to mod the head to fit them....i hate machine shops