Tightening handbrake cable?

MarkTurbo

Whats the easiest way to tighten the handbrake cable? Cos my GTI-R just failed the mot on this :(
Is there an adjusting rod underneath the car on the end of the handbrake lever like on alot of other cars?

A

Anonymous

piss easy, just remove the trim around the handbrake lever, you can do this without removing the centre dash stuff but its easier if you do remove them (the stuff around the ashtray).
then you will see a bolt with a nut on the back side of the lever all within the car. simply tighten this up. and voila, you need to tighten it up so its locks after 4 clicks.

Passed mot, it may be that one of the cables is knackered in which case u need to buy one. There is a how to on this site.

MarkTurbo

Cheers Nabsq,
Sounds quite easy. I think it only needs tightening cos the lever dosen't even start to pull on the cables until its right at the top.

B

bean

MarkTurbo said:
Cheers Nabsq,
Sounds quite easy. I think it only needs tightening cos the lever dosen't even start to pull on the cables until its right at the top.
I tightened mine this way, piece of piss...

When I first tightened the handbrake cable my rear pads were worn right down, after fitting new pads I had to slacken it off a bit.