tidying up brake calipers

Fire & skill

Vintage member
doing this more for aesthetics, but i have a set of willwoods and im going to tidy them up a bit, does anyone know if im best getting them powdercoated or can I just paint them with high temperature paint? quite fancy doing them red and if possible getting the 'willwood' part done in white, I know this will be quite tricky! just dont want to go to a lot of effort just for it to flake off.

any pointers or suggestions?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
As above: heat proof paint (red), mask off or touch up the letter in white heat proof paint and then lacquer

warpspeed

think you'll find that if you lacquer the calipers then it will turn opaque when they get hot, that's assuming you drive hard enough for them to get that hot! lol
I fitted 4 pots and 305mm discs on a 330hp fiat coupe for a customer, i stuck on silver stickers with my company name, first trackday he did at knockhill they turned gold! weird!

I stripped my calipers down and masked up the piston bore with metal tape, shotblasted them and then powdercoated them myself.
I bought a diy powdercoating kit of the internet and already have a shotblaster and oven so it's fairly easy but a powdercoater such as Carrick's in Prestwick shouldn't charge much to blast and coat calipers then you would just need to make up a stencil for painting your lettering in heat resistant paint.

Molz

I had my calipers done with a ceramic coating, same as what I used on the manifold and it seems to retain the colour regardless of heat

warpspeed

what colour did you get them done? probably only a matt finish available with ceramic though?
I like the idea of anodising them, i have been thinking about buying an anodising kit too!! That idea has just swayed me a bit more! 8)