Thinking of starting a new business...

A

AJ4

For a long time now I've been thinking of starting a new business. At the moment I work away from home as a consultant, but my personal situations changed now and I need to be at home more often ;)

After reading the excellent FCD thread, it got me thinking again about making stuff for the car. At the moment I knock up little bits and pieces for my own use, but I've never really considered making anything for anyone else. The price of electronic gear for cars is such a rip-off, I can make stuff a lot cheaper than that.

So this is my idea - make a range of electronic goodies, with no frills or fancy flashing lights, just basic units that do the job you want them to. This is the sort of thing I had in mind -

Soft ignition cut rev-limiter
Sequential shift light
Knock link
Basic AFR / boost / ignition controller modules
FCD ( if required ;) )
De-limiters and kph to mph converters
Launch control
G-meters
Water injection controller

For instance, the FCD currently on sale are about £95, I can make them, sell them and still make a profit for around £10... A basic fuel controller would only be around £20..

So what do you think ? Do you think people would be interested in cheap, simple units, or do you think people would be more interested in paying for the nice spanky LCD screens and flashing lights ? What sort of things do you think people would be interested in, apart from the list above ?

Any help or advice would be appreciated, just guaging interest at the moment...

Cheers,

Ross.

OZ-Racing

AJ4 said:
Do you think people would be interested in cheap, simple units, or do you think people would be more interested in paying for the nice spanky LCD screens and flashing lights ?
I prefer not to be able to tinker (so I don't break the car :roll: ) and would rather have things hidden away, out of sight, none of this bling and flashy sh1te.

Cheap / simple and functional units are the way forward, not a long list of abbreviations :)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Unfortunately, IMO, bling means ££££s. I would personally prefer stealth but I wouldn't spend £200 on a turbo timer or a FCD etc

Maybe you build the same units but bling them up with an LCD display that facillitates accurate tuning of the engines volumetric efficiency nonsense etc and bang them on E-Bay

Good luck with your ideas Ross.

Keira

good luck ross,

it happens with the sx with people buying jez chips etc.etc just i think most gtir owners are abit thick and dont realise that you can have the same without the name :wink: :lol: for far less money

hope it works out 8)

J

jimmy

ecus ?

tell you what mate if thats what your capable of doing id be interested in discussing having a custom made ECU for a nissan almera SRi (nitroused and heavily tuned) made up to get the most from the various mods to the engine ? can you email me please ?
Thanks

C

carpy100

definitely have a launch control unit off ya mate, shift light as well.
will you be able to make some of those blue lights for my windy washers and a matching strobe light for underneath :D

K

KRS

Go for it mate :)

Good luck

tell you what mate if thats what your capable of doing id be interested in discussing having a custom made ECU for a nissan almera SRi (nitroused and heavily tuned) made up to get the most from the various mods to the engine ? can you email me please ?
Thanks
Thats a little more complicated and takes years of development :wink:

D

DOT2DOT

If you can replicate those Lambda and Knock link modules id take a couple!

A

AJ4

sypher said:
the basic afr, is that the 10 LED narrow band version?
No... I meant an AFR controller, like an Apexi AFC ;) I can also do narrow band and wideband AFR meters as well though.

sypher

ok as i was gonna make a how to after i've finnished my engine project just didn't want any toes stepped on thats all..

good luck.... Stu

A

AJ4

Don't be silly mate, that would be 8)

I plan to make everything open source anyway with circuit diagrams and explanations as to how everything works. For too long, tuning companies have been bending people over with overpriced tat, just because a lot of people don't know any better. The more 'general knowledge' this stuff becomes the better for all of us.

Dooie Pop Pop

AJ4 said:
Don't be silly mate, that would be 8)

I plan to make everything open source anyway with circuit diagrams and explanations as to how everything works. For too long, tuning companies have been bending people over with overpriced tat, just because a lot of people don't know any better. The more 'general knowledge' this stuff becomes the better for all of us.
Ross, you are the man and i love you :wink: can i have a wide band that clips in the end of my exhaust? will accept one that goes into the larger lamba hole as i have a (DOH!) janspeed with a boss :roll:

go for it old timer :twisted: :lol:

geetee

A KPH > MPH convertor that doesn't break and doesn't make the speedo stick all over the place :D

Always be a market for that 8)

G

GTI-R Kid

Speedo delimiter that DOESNT change it to MPH would be nice. :wink:

J

jpward

GTI-R Kid said:
Speedo delimiter that DOESNT change it to MPH would be nice. :wink:
I coulda got one of these when delimited/converted mine not wishing to start another debate but SLD from HKS i dont think is mph so nice replica of that would do you and your KM limits!