thinkin about buyin an r an got a few questions

D

dan,gti-r

would like remote start because il be working early in the morning, and there is nothing worse then havin to get into a cold car lol. How does remote start work with out a key? Do you not need a key at all then? IS anti lag a good idea or will it **** the turbo quicker?

A

a11ova

it will **** your turbo. Adam L is clearly a retard, end of convo

neil240z

dont bother with remote start, like most things hi tec it will probably f**k up after 6 months and you will be sobbing that your car wont start and you will be paying someone to rip it all out.

as good as anti lag sounds it does reduce the life of your turbo substantially and its only really used in competition and rallying as it keeps the turbo spinning to avoid lag hence why it has a shorter life.

you may be interested in buying my car as its a rare UK model and just had a forged rebuild and in your budget.

regards

Neil

kevgti-r

stumo said:
don't forget to video yourself starting your car whilst in gear!
you cant set it unless your out the car with it running with the clifford;-)

but if you add it to another alarm you can watch your car drive off by itself :lol:

LeeSmith

I've heard of a few clifford remote starts going wrong on a few cars.

I never bothered with it, on a freezing cold morning I just set the turbo timer on manual for 5-10 minutes after I started the car, put the blowers on the windscreen, pulled the key out and locked the door. Went back inside, and finished getting ready for work!

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
it was explained to me when I had remote start fitted (waste of money) and complained that it never worked reliably, the guy said, that to work well the clifford remote start needs to be fitted to a good starter, good condition battery, and in order to set the remote start the car needs to have a good steady idle that's under 900 rpm (think it was 900 but might of been 1000rpm)

trouble is most pulsars fall over on that last requirement and have crap idle thats over a 1000 rpm

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Why would the idle be a problem?
Cold starts are always going to idle higher than 900rpm and a higher idle would probably help the alternator output.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Fast Guy said:
Why would the idle be a problem?
Cold starts are always going to idle higher than 900rpm and a higher idle would probably help the alternator output.
wrong end of the stick mate :lol:

a high or uneven idle is a problem as you set the remote start when the engine is running

ie you come home from work and you want to set it for remote start for the next morning, once you arrive home, with the engine still running you press a series of buttons on the remote, then with draw the keys, this leaves the engine running for a self selected amount of time, some people use this as a turbo timer, but still leaves the car immobilised as once you press the brake or release the hand brake the engine stops and the car will lock itself, or you can lock the car with the remote, you can then start it from the warmth of your house via the remote.

but you cannot activate the remote start if "once you arrive home, with the engine still running" the idle is high or uneven, it just wont work.

Adam L

I was just trying to make the point that a GTiR isn't some huge step up and, if you're planning on spening £3.5k max, you're not exactly going to get the most tuned version...

yes, ok, my 1.4 was a Renault 5. I didn't spend money on it, mainly because I didn't need to to make it quick and with the 4x4 setup of course you're going to get the advantage off the line. Not to mention the SR20DET lump has a far great potential than an old C1J pushrod 8v engine. I wasn't saying the car was shit, I wouldn't have bought one if i thought that, it wasn't supposed to be an arsey comment.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I agree a standard Gtir might not be as big a step up from a tuned previous car (my montego was as fast as a standard Gtir over the 1/4, take away the 60ft and it was 1/2sec quicker) but even your average 1bar Gtir should be quite a step up and that's only just getting going on the tuning side.:)

What was your R5 capable of?

Adam L

Fast Guy said:
I agree a standard Gtir might not be as big a step up from a tuned previous car (my montego was as fast as a standard Gtir over the 1/4, take away the 60ft and it was 1/2sec quicker) but even your average 1bar Gtir should be quite a step up and that's only just getting going on the tuning side.:)

What was your R5 capable of?
I never ran it on the 1/4, mainly because I was never interested in it. It was previously used as a track car and all I did was mess about with the ignition timing/turbo/boost. Considering the fastest Renault 5 is at 11.4 over the 1/4, my car was behind that by a fair amount. On slicks and back to 0 degree camber, in the 12's I reckon.

The fact I was rather dissapointed with my GTiR's straight line speed comes into it, 1bar/walbro/plugs/front mount/full decat system. At 400 kg's kerb weight difference, that's to be expected. That's all past experience wise, I only started buying tuning parts for the Pulsar 6 months ago. The car will be good for over 400bhp, no rolling road shit though...

Last edited:

youngsyp

stevepudney said:
wrong end of the stick mate :lol:

a high or uneven idle is a problem as you set the remote start when the engine is running

ie you come home from work and you want to set it for remote start for the next morning, once you arrive home, with the engine still running you press a series of buttons on the remote, then with draw the keys, this leaves the engine running for a self selected amount of time, some people use this as a turbo timer, but still leaves the car immobilised as once you press the brake or release the hand brake the engine stops and the car will lock itself, or you can lock the car with the remote, you can then start it from the warmth of your house via the remote.

but you cannot activate the remote start if "once you arrive home, with the engine still running" the idle is high or uneven, it just wont work.
That would explain why mine works fine when the cars been used recently but, in the morning, it doesn't work for toffee. :doh:
Of course, the fitter didn't explain that 5 years ago, when it was fitted......

To the OP, remote start is very much a gadget. As it doesn't work on a cold morning, it really has no use. I could probably could on my fingers and toes how many times I've used mine in the 5 years I've had it so, save your money bud. ;-)

antgtir

As already stated, just get yourself a half decent TT (one where it will cut the engine if the handbrake is taken off)and set it at 10mins, go back to car when nice and warm, or you could just be a man and grin and bear it lol :lol:

I know alot of people say go for a tuned R to your max feasible outlay but imo if you get the best conditioned standard R you have yourself the best base to tune with, however if all you want to do is rag the thing around until it blows :cry: then get one with mods and wait for it to go, depends what you want from it and how much of an investment it is to you.

Ant.

O

Odin

antgtir said:
how much of an investment it is to you.

Ant.

:shock: :shock: Now that's comedy :lol: :lol: , An R classed as an investment :doh: .

Rob

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Odin said:
:shock: :shock: Now that's comedy :lol: :lol: , An R classed as an investment :doh: .

Rob

A bad investment is still and investment mate! ;-)

kirko

ive had remote start ever since i bought the car and it has worked fine even on cold mornings;-) it doesnt matter what the idle is like mine has never idled that well and its never affected it8) ,
it is a gimmick though and apparently affects the cat rating of the alarm:? not sure why maybe someone could enlighten us and then again who cares:yuck: