thermostat

projectgtir

Interesting read , ive had overheating issues too .
Ive just checked my rad cap and found its a 1.1 bar cap .
My themostat that was in the car at the time of overheating when checked was also operating very slow . Unfortunately mine overheated to the point where i had the dreaded mayo under the cap .Ive had the head skimmed, pressure tested etc... blocked face checked with a straight edge . All is ok . Ive also checked for cracks in the cylinder walls with a mg and torch and found nothing.
But when ive put it back together it always presssurises to the point of something giving out ,usualy the hoses off the rad, or the expansion bottle filling to the brim . I assumed it was exhaust gas but maybe its the cap.

I am now going to order a genuine cap and thermostat and headgasket and try again .

I will be interested to find out how you get on.

tee

well i swapped the rad cap yesterday for one from my other car, as i no that one doesn't ever overheat. So i put the 1.2 bar cap on my skyline and drove that around yesterday and all is fine, didn't overheat or anything.

i am going to try my R now, with new thermostat and the 0.9bar cap from my skyline and see what happens......wish me luck

tee

still going upto 3/4 on the temp gauge.......dunno what to do, engine doesn't actually seem to overheat as such, doesn't make any hissing noises and stuff like that.....