tappetty noise ? give me a chance

stedee

right my head is tappetty - surprise surprise i checked the rocker to cam lobe clearance and they seem pretty good
the noise does seem to be coming from the throttle bodies so i am thinking its the valve slapping on the seat being shut by the spring rather than the cam lobe

does this make sense? and does this mean that the followers still need shimming even though the cam to rockere clearances are ok, the noise isnt the injectors and i`ve took the rocker cover cap (where the oil goes in)when its running and it seems quiet in there.

thanx in advance
steve

stedee

they were .2 to .23, on the manual it says thats bottom end of tolerance, wasnt dead cold just warm.

stedee

but the noise definitely isnt coming from the top, ive checked with a screwdriver and when i took the oil cap off it was as quiet as a mouse.

olliecast

stedee said:
they were .2 to .23, on the manual it says thats bottom end of tolerance, wasnt dead cold just warm.
when mine were cold i set my clearences to 0,15. my clearences were the same as yours and the engine was really really noisey. i thought it was the bottom end going.

i added 0,05mm to most of mine (i think two valves needed 0,10) and now its really quiet:thumbsup:

cheers ollie

stedee

i thought maybe the spring is slapping the valve shut right at the end of the valve cycle because the cam lobe has just come off the follower a lit too soon because of the follower not being long enough hence the noise coming from the throttle body which is where the inlet valves are.

olliecast

tbh mate i couldn`t directly locate the sound. my injectors are noisey, but weren`t as bad as the head. i`ve got to say it runs alot better now aswell. i could pinpoint the noise either, that why i thought the bottom end was going.
took me about 4 hours to shim i all up.