TAP DANCING ROCKERS?

A

Anonymous

inside my R' head a sound has developed ..a mech has said to me the rockers are worn ... GR8 more work ... but i was wondering is it just the rockers i need to change ??

Can anyone on this forum tell me what i need to change/fix/modify/service etc.. to get this noise to go away ?

thanks in advance [:D]

J

jasegould

U could take the rocker cover off and measure the valve clearances, u may to reshim the followers/tappets. The R has solid lifters so it wont be them making the noise(as opposed to hydraulic lifters)

Ooooohh...its black..yawn..with 17'S..yawn..mongoose..yawn...zzzzzzzzz...BUT NOT FOR LONG!!!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

quote:Originally posted by jasegould2002
U could take the rocker cover off and measure the valve clearances, u may to reshim the followers/tappets. The R has solid lifters so it wont be them making the noise(as opposed to hydraulic lifters)

Ooooohh...its black..yawn..with 17'S..yawn..mongoose..yawn...zzzzzzzzz...BUT NOT FOR LONG!!!!!!!!!!

thanks .. the info i was looking for ... what are the correct clearances??? and the tappets on the GTi-R head .... where are they located ??

J

jasegould

Tappets are the same as lifters

A

AZ STE

Gtir head is very similar to a four stroke 16v+ motorcycle,as the cam goes around it strikes a shim on a bucket which opens and closes a valve.These shims can be removed and new shim fitted of the correct thickness to give the correct cam to shim clearance.Its not a cheap thing to do as the shims are dear.Initially you need to check each inlet and exhaust to cam gap ring tuner for (correct gap)remove the ones which are out of spec measure and buy the shim that brings it back into tolerance.You may find that some of the old shims can be used in other places reducing your cost.If the noise isnt to bad Gtirs arent that quiet anyway try a 10/60 oil which is thicker when hot and will stay around the top end of your engine better reducing noise.

A.....Z Ste

Websnowbo

Nearly all car diesel engines use shims instead of hydraulic lifters. It is unusual
for a shim to wear though as they are very hard. It is more likely your cam that
has worn. Re-shimming usually only occurs when a valve has been replaced or the
valves or seats have been faced.

J

jasegould

And its a pain in the arse job to do aswell...im in the process of doing my mates Starlet Turbo which has had all the valve seats reground[:(!][:(]