Suspension and camber settings

STU666V

Thanks for all the info lads.
Just a quick run down on things i can do on the day if the car handles like sh!t.
Buy the way i put the ride heights back up to 335MM front and 345MM rear tonight.(just added the hight i wonted more on the thread and it worked out to be the right heights)

To much roll (but handles ok) = Make ARB stiffer, or dont touch it!!

Understeer = 15MM diffrence on height at rear(already done),soften the front rate,stiffen rear rate?

Oversteer = stiffen front, soften rear,soften Rear ARB.
Not very sure about this rear ARB as it adjusts at either end but you can also adjust the height you clamp it to your shock.
Bloody cars, Ha ha
If all else fails buy new shocks, if that does not work buy a new car :)
Going to my bed dreaming about hights, rates, pressures and sh!t like that. Need to get a life??

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Some bed time reading for you ;-)

Mike has written a lot on the FWD B13 chassis which is the same as a gtir but fwd rather than 4wd.

I'd recommend on the day you keep it simple and just stick to dampers, tyres and rear arb. You pick the ARB stiffness on the bottom hole and you correct the length to keep the arb parralel to the ground with the top adjuster.

happy reading

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
That's because you have a non-adjustable rear arb ;-)

Those are adjustable drop links. You can't change rear roll resistance with those. set and forget only.

edit: nice piccies by the way

P

pulsarboby

you beat me to it jim, thats the weirdest looking arb ive ever seen lol

if i were you stu i would seriously consider getting some braided brake lines aswell, as they will give excessive pedal travel when things really start heating up, they will make a big difference to your braking;-)

STU666V

Thanks for pointing that out to me :doh:
The man that did my MOT said i should get some braided hoses to, Next on my list :lol:
When i was getting my MOT there was a slight bump to get into the garage and when he drove it in at a slight angle the rear wheel was off the ground but never did that last year so must be a lot stiffer now!!
You must think that i am a bit dumb asking all these questions but if you dont ask you will never know?? Just tell me to shut it if i am bugging you lot :thumbsup:
The rear ARB, it's just a normal whiteline one? well i was thinking that but at least thats one less thing to fiddle with :lol:
Thanks again lads.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
campbellju said:
Some bed time reading for you ;-)
Jim, you’re a fountain of information that never ceases to amaze me and continually educates me about suspension and geometry.
I must say that the information you’ve given/posted in the past has been very insightful and gives great in-depth information regarding suspension set-up.

campbellju said:
I'm trying to get my a**e in gear in time for the GTIROC day that will be the next trackday for me at this rate.
I look forward to seing your development, improvement and the comparisons of different set-ups!

youngsyp

Stu,

Could you measure the distance between the the top of the hub fixing bracket and bottom spring platform lock nut, on your front and rear struts for me ? I.e. the amount of thread that can be seen.

I'm fitting some D2's next week and your ride heights are what I was going to go for. Having those measurements would give me a big advantage starting out. and should save me some time.

Cheers

Paul

STU666V

Paul,

Yes i can do that some time this week if thats ok for you?
I had the car set up at the right height but it did go down a bit so if you set them the same as mine it might be a bit high for a while but should come down.
Did my first race at the weekend and it was a short hillclimb and the car fells a lot better than i did before.
Alot of pepole was say it will be far to hard, well its very hard on the road but once racing it was fine.
Put the fronts damper setting on 2 and the rear on 4. I did not get any understeer but will find out more at the end of the month as its a bigger track and faster.

youngsyp

Thanks mate, that would be good.

Glad to hear the racing went well and that the tweeks made a noticable difference for the better. It's quite surprising how fairly small changes can make a big difference in in overall behaviour and feel. Keep us updated with how you get on at the other races too !

I've gone for a set of more road friendly springs so, hopefully it won't be too hard for what I need. I'm expecting it to be firm than the set up I have now but, I don't think that'll be that difficult to achieve, seeing as my dampers are 91k miles old and the springs around 45k miles old !

No doubt I'll make some tweeks to my final set up but, having your settings as a starting point, should give me a huge advantage where time is concerned.

Thanks again.

Paul

STU666V

youngsyp said:
Thanks mate, that would be good.

Glad to hear the racing went well and that the tweeks made a noticable difference for the better. It's quite surprising how fairly small changes can make a big difference in in overall behaviour and feel. Keep us updated with how you get on at the other races too !

I've gone for a set of more road friendly springs so, hopefully it won't be too hard for what I need. I'm expecting it to be firm than the set up I have now but, I don't think that'll be that difficult to achieve, seeing as my dampers are 91k miles old and the springs around 45k miles old !

No doubt I'll make some tweeks to my final set up but, having your settings as a starting point, should give me a huge advantage where time is concerned.

Thanks again.

Paul
Paul,
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.
I havent had much time so i went out tonight and got these sizes with the wheels still on but think these sizes are very close and a good starting point.
Rears is 110MM, 11 CM
Front is 80MM, 8 CM
When i fitted my i took the slack up on the springs and then gave them a half turn then locked them in with the second big nut.
Hope this helps and tell me how you get on.
Cheers
Regards
Stuart

youngsyp

Stuart,

You're an absolute legend and no need to apologise, I can see you've been busy. I won't be doing this until tomorrow anyway, providing my new rear springs turn up.

You've also re-iterated my views on adjusting spring pre-load too !

Although I have softer springs than you, so my final measurements should be different, I'll use your figures to give me a starting point.

Thanks again bud.

Paul

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Isn't there a sticky with this in it? - I can't see it at the moment, so it's not a rhetorical question.