strut braces

T

Trent

Has anyone attempted making strut braces?, bieng a northener im rather reluctant to get my wallet out so i was just gonna weld a straight bar between the rear turrets, and fashion some kind of multi point brace for under the front.
supposing i get the dimensions and structural strength right what do you think the police/m.o.t tester/ insurance people would say regarding safety standards and the like?

Tony-turbo

That would be fine but they are cheap anyway, less than £100 each and if thats too much sell your pulsar cause you will get some huuuuuuge bills.

Going to nissan for some odd bits and gaskets and coming back for a bill for £200

D

danmo

U can get the omp adjustable upper stut brace for £64 and the whiteline lower multipoint one for around £90 (I think, but less than £100 anyway)
Also the upper brace doesn't really do that much so just buy the whiteline lower one and the anti roll bars (anti sway bars) and it'll be sorted.

T

Trent

cheers man, i was under the impression that the braces were rediculously priced. i dont mind spending lots of cash on the R, but i refuse to fork out too much for a piece of bent metal that says a fancy name on it.

Tony-turbo

ill sell you an OMP one for £40 if your intrested, could do with respraying but perfect apart from that.
Tony.

Tony-turbo

Front in (Resprayed in black but not particularly well)

Look alot better than homebrew, especially with a lick of paint.

PM me if you like

T

Trent

hopefully he will be doing my manifold soon, when i get him some cash :)

Nigell_d6

Hi,

I made a custom front strut brace last year, it worked out with my labour and if i had to buy the materials quite a lot more than what is being offered, not really worth it, unless you got plenty time on your hands and cheap materials.

Regards

Nigel

T

Trent

cheers nigel i will bear that in mind for the front braces, im just a bit of a skinflint! ;) shouldnt be too expensive welding the bar across the back surely?

CruiseGTi-R

Also much more satisfying making your own stuff and usually better quality.

I reckon more than 50% of the stuff I buy I end up hating cos its shit quality, doesn't work, doesn't fit, finish is shit, falls off, squeaks, stops working, overpriced, rusts, bends, flexes, snaps, bolts shear off, bolts slip, aluminium is too soft, inferior steel grades and so on.

(I'm in a bad mood this evening)