Stroker or Forged, which and why??

red reading

Ok, fuck it I will build a stroker bottom end and use all the rest of my set up...that should give a reasonable comparison.

Empty Pockets

Haha, if you feel it's necessary, use a good kit though bro.. :) Would like to see a graph of yours Dan, sounds a weapon .

Ed, Mikes was on an engine dyno iirc, sure that's all nd had back then, they always show early spool compared to chassis imo.

Anywho, that's just my observations, and why for me and my use/reasons, a stroker would be far better for me, i've always thought it to be a laggy engine hence going the way i did with my project and planned capping revs to 7.5k-8k, thing is, if all the square one's are revving to that anyway, where's the loss ?

P.S, looking forward to seeing yours, what's left now ?

Empty Pockets

Dan, shame there isn't a straight fit taller blocked version sr20 you could use, custom rods for rr and build the ultimate engine, 4g63/4g64 style.

red reading

I have kept toying with a destroked engine on a larger bore, just seems so much aggro to liner a block, and all sorts of ideas...I just don't have as much time or inclination I used to, tbh the car is fricking ridiculous as it is so I wonder do I need more, I might look into alloy nicasil liners as if done right there is no reason why they cannot be welded in, stress relived and then coated.

Empty Pockets

Evo lot are using capricorn for supplying/fitting nikasil liners, only bad words i've heard about them are regarding sticking to deadlines, works meant to be pukka, Totally get why you wouldn't though, i wouldn't with a perfect working big power engine, lot of needless messing imo.

red reading

Capricorn was who I thought of as well, still have a fascination with playing with the car...maybe I just like proving people wrong for fun with these specific cars

Empty Pockets

What's worth proving to anyone but yourself, that's my take anyway, Wouldn't waste my time or money on anybody elses opinion on a car lol.
On the other hand, if i was a billionaire i'd have 5 of each car i liked all tuned in different ways, just because lol.

If you're a billionaire, get on with it already :)

Sven777

The car will essentially be a road car but the odd 1/4 mile more out of curiosity than anything. The turbo i have so far is a GT3076R AR.70, fully worked head with Piper cams/gears, double valve springs etc etc. If i were to go stroker id go for a bigger turbo and aim towards 600bhp, would be limited to more like 500bhp with the forged.

In an ideal world the stroker would be the way to go, but i've read they can throw liners (this one was built by Hiteq and has had 400bhp thrown at it for 6000 miles now with no problems)(compression tested at 150-155psi on all cylinders). And i've also read multiple reports of how you they cant rev as high due to the stroke length.

Colin
If it is a roadcar, the focus should be on drivability and usefull power delivery; not on power. No Pulsar with 500-600 HP is going to make for a nice roadcar no matter how you set it up, you'd probably be outrun under normal roadconditions by guys with a properly set up 400 HP setup. I see a stroker only as added value for the drag-strip. To answer your question: I would stick with the 3076 it has enough punch, I would go with the 0 milage bottom end for a road driven car for sure.

ckd281081

If it is a roadcar, the focus should be on drivability and usefull power delivery; not on power. No Pulsar with 500-600 HP is going to make for a nice roadcar no matter how you set it up, you'd probably be outrun under normal roadconditions by guys with a properly set up 400 HP setup. I see a stroker only as added value for the drag-strip. To answer your question: I would stick with the 3076 it has enough punch, I would go with the 0 milage bottom end for a road driven car for sure.
I guess from that reply i know what your opinion would be on my next dilemma,,, i have a Quaife box but i've been offered a PPG dogbox :oops:

ckd281081

And im not overly fussed about drivability. This will never be anything like a daily driver, more just a toy for now and again,,, a hobby

Empty Pockets

That just reads so contradictory to me, you want the biggest spread of power for the road, so you say a stroker is for the drag strip... Okay then lol.

If you're planning on revving the car high then i guess a stroker Wouldn't be the right choice, bet it don't go over 7.5k though lol, in which case you're shortening your power spread, the only bit of that i agree on is he should use the 2ltr block.

ckd281081

Am i not right in saying though that with the stroker engine there would be more low end torque, so the turbo would come in sooner? So although it loses say 500-1k rpm top end, would it not make that up bottom end, giving the same(ish) power range? My cams (Piper 270's) power band is 2k to 7200rpm if that makes any difference?

Empty Pockets

Yes, that's the whole point of what i'm saying, if you have two cars that run the same rpm redline, the one with the earlier spool will obviously have a bigger powerband, longest spread of power is what you want on the road .

Why would you want to limit your revs with a stroker on the drag strip, extra gearchanges lose time, you will launch in boost and never be out of it on a good run, you may need to up the rev limit in a certain gear to avoid an extra gearchange over the line etc, why would you use a stroker for this swapping revs for spool when you're never going to be bellow 4k on the strip ?

Last edited:

ckd281081

If i'm correct in what your saying then, stroker better for the road due to low pick up, forge for the strip due to higher rpm,, then that basically answers my question and i have to decide which is more important to me. I think in reality, i wont be on the strip that much,, probably just a handful of times out of curiosity. Id be more likely to be seen on a track, but we'll see.

Sven777

It all depends on setup and HP goal, yes a stroker can be great for the road if setup (cams, manifold, turbo) for that purpose specifically, but most people I see stroking their engines do not stroke it for that purpose. There are so many other (in my opinion better) setups to spend money on in order to make a great road car. But then again: you are right; the definition of a road-car is different to everyone.

In that sense; no problem in using a straight cut dogbox for the road; just don't let the misses drive it ;-) If you drive distances, might be an idea to keep 5th standard.

ckd281081

I guess it's all just horses for courses, there isn't any right or wrong answer here seeing as I'll not be using it for one specific thing (track/road/strip). I'm glad I started the thread though as I didn't have much of an idea at all before it, and there's been some cracking debates and informative responses, so thanks to all who read and chipped in.

Haha the Mrs thinks Pulsars are ugly as sin and she complained about "snapping my head and neck" at 300bhp when I put the foot down in 2nd without warning, so she won't be going anywhere near it when it's finished. I really do want the dog box and I've heard nothing but good things about PPG even for road use. I actually watched a video of the PPG dogbox on a street test, stopping at lights etc, and it looked pretty good. Yes you can argue it was the owner of PPG who was driving it haha, but still looked more than drivable. Again though, this will hardly be driven much as I also work away, so drive ability on the roads isn't a huge concern.

Empty Pockets

Sorry, i'm getting out of this now, i feel like i'm going round in circles, and now people are comparing what ifs, and apples to oranges... Crazy. I'll leave it on this note, there is no absolute one is better than the other, each way has it's own pro's and cons, dependent on your usage of the car, and engines characteristics, best way is to plan your usage and engines usable limits beforehand, and maximize the window you have to work with.

ckd281081

Sorry, i'm getting out of this now, i feel like i'm going round in circles, and now people are comparing what ifs, and apples to oranges... Crazy. I'll leave it on this note, there is no absolute one is better than the other, each way has it's own pro's and cons, dependent on your usage of the car, and engines characteristics, best way is to plan your usage and engines usable limits beforehand, and maximize the window you have to work with.
Yeah thats what i mean,, horses for courses and all that. Difficult to pinpoint anything when the car will not be used for one type of use. Cheers for the input, appreciated

Empty Pockets

It was more aimed at the guy saying strokers are for drag strips with no reasoning to why, then going on about unoptimised setups, sort of like a stock stroke with a 7.5k rev limit... Lol

Anyways, all the best with it whichever way you choose mate, might be worth speaking to a few good tuners who build both types daily, as opposed to us forum one trick wonders lol.

ckd281081

haha yeah i got that mate don't worry. I have Wallace Performance on my doorstep who are a well known tuner around here, and have a 2.2 stroker Evo pushing out crazy bhp, so might go speak to them, get an opinion from them also.

Cheers again