steering shakes??

mds

Good evening

I have a small problem: when i go over a bumpy road or a large bump or pot hole the steering wheel shakes slightly, it does not happen all the time but the more severe the bump/hole the more likely i am to experience the shake in the steering wheel, i have had a look at the lower ball joints and checked them with a bar for play and there is none.
Do you have any thoughts on what it could be.

Thanks in advance

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Sounds like a "genuine" case of bumpsteer. Is your car lowered or on stiff springs? It might be just you have too much toe out making the effect worse.

antgtir

May just be the dampers mate. Check the springs to for any breakages etc. Carry out the simple bounce test. Push down on the dampers whilst they are fitted to the car and if the car settles within 1.5 bounces then genrally the damper is ok, if not then the damper is more than likely worn and needs replacing. Also check for any oil leaks from the dampers.

Ant.

Last edited:

mds

thanks for all the reply's it is much appreciated!

I carried out the damper test and sure enough the near side damper has gone, the only problem i have now is where to get a standard damper from other than nissan or is the main dealer the only place to get one from??

once again thanks
kind regards
mds