Steering rack

S

Stoned

How much of a job is it to fit a new steering rack into the R?

And can you just get away with new track ends?
All information appreciated, I know very little on the subject

Cheers all

ki_saj_ng

whats actually up with it?

doing it with the engine out is simple as all u gotta do is replace the thing but i doubt it if its possible with the engine in :shock:

if the whole thing is buggered then replacing just the ends wont do much good.

antgtir

What is your problem to suggest the track rod ends??

Steering rack i dont think is too bad, ive had to change the boots and it wasn't too bad to do that and by the looks of it whilst down there on my back lol taking the rack off isn't too bad either.

Ant. :D

S

Stoned

There's play in the rack and will fail it's mot

The guy said you could replace the track rods (I think) that the bump steer kit fits too. Is that the case?

He said at the other end there's some ball joints which wear in time and cause play in the steering. Does anyone know what it is I need to replace to get that play removed?
Are uprated versions available instead of getting OE parts from Nissan?

Cheers

youngsyp

Try here for the track rod ends:
http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=32634

And yes, you can change the track rod/arm itself. I'm just about to do it myself on the OSF. The track rods/arms are £61 each from Nissan, the only place you can get them from new. Believe me, I tried everywhere else !! I'll pick mine up on Saturday and post up the part no. Mine has lasted over 60k miles so, I'm more than happy to replace it with the OE part on this one. i don't think you can get uprated parts either !

I found out mine was worn after I had changed literally everything on the from suspension, I was still getting a knocking noise. I put the old girl on full lock and got the better half to rock the steering wheel back and forth, whilst I looked under the car. The play is very clear and I can hear the knocking very clearly too !

Cheers

Paul

S

Stoned

Hi youngsyp

Cheers for the information mate. So reading your other post, am I OK with the £61 Nissan Trak Rod arms... or do I also need to get those uprated ends you speak of in the other post. I do have the Gordan Kay bumpsteer kit so I will take your advice on this one.

Finally is my car OK to drive?. The knocking is a little bit annoying but as long as the car aint going to carry on going straight one day when I turn, i'd like to hold off changing these for a week or so.

Thanks very much

youngsyp

Stoned said:
Hi youngsyp

Cheers for the information mate. So reading your other post, am I OK with the £61 Nissan Trak Rod arms... or do I also need to get those uprated ends you speak of in the other post. I do have the Gordan Kay bumpsteer kit so I will take your advice on this one.

Finally is my car OK to drive?. The knocking is a little bit annoying but as long as the car aint going to carry on going straight one day when I turn, i'd like to hold off changing these for a week or so.

Thanks very much
You should be able to feel the play in the rod ends too. If they are ok, I'd just get the track arms. If not, get new rose joints too. If you're feeling flush (not likely owning an R :wink: ) I'd replace the track arms and rose joints just as a precaution !! Then get it set up and I bet, it will drive like a different car !

As for driving like it, you'll be fine. Just take it easy !! As I said earlier, I have had this knocking for ages. I replaced most of the front suspension (poly bushes, anti lift kit, bumpsteer kit, both lower arms, ARB tie rods) about this time last year to get rid of the noise and it didn't. I've just realised what it is as I was fed up with the noise !! So, I've probably driven 10k miles + 1 MOT and countless alignment set ups, with it like it :shock: :oops: :wink:
I'm gonna change mine when I get my Cusco adjustable top mounts and I'm debating whether to do both sides as a precaution ?! I'm so looking forward to having that noise gone now :lol:

Cheers

Paul

S

Stoned

Excellent mate

So for those that have not seen one out does it go

Bump steer kit <----- Track Rod ------> Rose Joint?

I want to replace whatever sorts this out. I might get the NS lower arm ball joint changed at the same time as I had the OS lower arm replaced a few weeks back. Not because i'm loaded, just because it seems senseless to replace some parts but leave others that can also be a problem

If you could post those Nissan part numbers once your done that would be ace as Nissan never help me, claiming some number doesnt match up or some BS :roll: