steel liners

ashills

just had the engine builders on the phone they bored my block to 87mm and have found steel liners inbedded in teh ali no nicosel coating like i kept being told about
anyone else found this when having there block bored

S

Sirnixalot

we have an aluminum block with iron sleaves.....thats factory

A

antilag

i was told we have an ally block with 0.2mm nicasel ?????????
is that not true then

ashills

really not sure i think its as it left the factory as they were standard pistons etc
speaking to nikko he said that every sr20 has either steel or iron liners (im not doubting this)
Then everyone u speak to in teh UK say u cant bore the block because of the nickosel so any input from other would be very nice
i know ian at hiteq is happy to bore them to 87mm

S

stuart rawlinson

Steel in mine as well but still had some liners put in :? :roll:

Nad

Mine was bored with no problems either. God knows wether the liners were steel or iron, as long as they hold I dont care.

Nad

zia

do you guys with engine rebuilds retain the standard liner if not reboring to 87mm i assume 87mm being the max you can go without fitting liners.looking at that new 2.4 kit that include liners doesn,t it?does that not make the engine unusable if you blow it up? are there any dissavdantages with liners?.

zia

S

Sirnixalot

you can do 87.5mm max without replacing the standard liner.

The block is aluminum, liners are a cylinder of steel/ductile iron that is pressed into the aluminum block. THe cylinder bores are actually steel/iron The liners are only about 1cm-1.5cm thick in most places. You get the standard ones pressed out and the new ones pressed in then bored.

Anyone considering the JWT 2.4L kit should send their block to them and have them do the machining and assembly. Pressing in linders/sleaves is a very very exact process. They have the facilities to press in, bore and hone (they have a torque plate) the liners and assemble the crank, rods and pistons with the factory OEM Nissan GTi-R bearings.

These people have been doing nissans before i was an itch in my dads nuts....they know thier shit and then some.

Nad

Sirnixalot wrote:

The block is aluminum, liners are a cylinder of steel/ductile iron that is pressed into the aluminum block. THe cylinder bores are actually steel/iron The liners are only about 1cm-1.5cm thick in most places. You get the standard ones pressed out and the new ones pressed in then bored.

I thought Nissan cast the block around the liners, and I didnt think they were that thick, do u mean mm. Also AFAIK u just bore the standard ones and repress back inside those. I think they r steel, as steel contains iron anyway in large quantities. Iron is just too brittle on its own.

Nad

P.S. U dont want ductile liners

P.P.S If this post looks weird its because Nikko messed it up!

Nad

Sirnixalot said:
Sorry I was on about ductile in the structural sense rather than a specific type of iron. If something is ductile, it is maluable and therefore the opposite structure would normally be brittle. Its like a sliding scale, 99%ductile, 1% brittle. Therefore all iron can be ductile, just not much. If it is really brittle, would u still call it ductile :?:

Cast Iron is very brittle, but then also very hard. Liners couldnt be made out of a ductile iron with a ferrite structure as it would be too soft. A ductile iron with a carbide structure has low ductility and is very hard but brittle :?: The further u look into it the more confusing it gets. It would never be called 'brittle iron' because that is seldom a property u ever really want.

That site brings back to many bad memories of last semesters material work and all the bloody cemenite, ferrite and pearlite structures and forming points etc etc and then the exams :cry:

Nad