standard oil pressure

williams

oil pressure warning switches

whats the standard oil pressure on these engines? been that long since ive drove mine i cant remember.was going to fit a 1.4bar oil pressure switch but not sure if thats too high? will it light the warning light on idle at 1.4 bar?

Last edited:

geoff pine

The book says no load idle speed not less than .98 bar :doh:3,200 revs 3.43 -4.41 with engine under no load .

Last edited:

williams

so need a 1 bar pressure switch. been looking but cant seem to find one.

Last edited:

williams

found a vw 1 bar switch, what pressure does the original switch activate at?

using it with ma acewell dash mate.

williams

not sure whether to go for 1 bar or 1.4 bar? all this switch will be for is to light the oil pressure warning light, got a stack oil pressure gauge instead of standard?

also had a thought, you could wire a relay into the oil pressure switch to kill the ignition/injectors if the pressure dropped too low, but i would need to make sure the switch was rated below warm idle pressure but high enough not to cause any engine damage. good or shit idea?

danr

it would also need to know when car is started else it would read low pressure and cut everything even before it got going lol ;_)

johnsy

all this switch will be for is to light the oil pressure warning light QUOTE]

isn't it generally too late any way when that light comes on? iv witnessed that light come on twice and you ve got literally a split second before its followed by a knock knock.....

williams

Dan - that's why I'm fitting a higher pressure switch so its not too late.Danr - I thought about that, I need to see how much pressure it can build up while cranking over, if it can build over 1 bar on the starter motor then it will start, if not it would need to be on a switch so it is only active when the engine is running.

geoff pine

all this switch will be for is to light the oil pressure warning light QUOTE]

isn't it generally too late any way when that light comes on? iv witnessed that light come on twice and you ve got literally a split second before its followed by a knock knock.....
I also thought this and the man with the small s told me if the warning light comes on then the damage has been done:doh: :lol:

williams

Who's the man with the small s? Lol, if you fit a higher pressure switch then it will act as a warning, not just. To tell you its fucked. Ha, you could fit an 8 bar switch if you wanted but it would be on all the time.