SR20DET 2.2 big bore kit at erics

marcymarc

ashills said:
the only issue is who u get to bore the block for the liners
a few guys have sent blocks up to agra and was about 600 delivered for the work then u have the normal build costs so ads about £800-900 to a normal build up

Just been thinking about this, where does the £800-900 costing come from?? , just from being bored out and re-lined?

stumo

The cost of the 2.2 kit is roughly £600, the fitting of the liners is as stated approx £600. That equals £1200.

If you take out the cost of the pistons (cos you'll also need some if you do a "normal" rebuild too) that will leave £800-900.

It ain't rocket science.

edit.... if you notice , the 2.35 kit also has 90mm pistons but no liners...which you'd have to buy and have fitted .

Last edited:

marcymarc

stumo said:
what would you expect to pay?

Im not really sure :lol: as i say just seems alot of money.

I just cant see where £600 worth or labour/machining and whatever comes from...just to fit liners.

Im not being argumentative by the way just genuinly cant see the cost.

stumo

Take the VAT out of it and you're looking at £500 and something, call it £500.

500 /50 (possibly hourly rate)=10hours

10 hours for setting up, boring out the old liners, machining the hole for the new liners, fitting the liners, decking, boring and honing the new liners sounds ok in my book.

(i'm just pointing out the facts)

marcymarc

stumo said:
Take the VAT out of it and you're looking at £500 and something, call it £500.

500 /50 (possibly hourly rate)=10hours

10 hours for setting up, boring out the old liners, machining the hole for the new liners, fitting the liners, decking, boring and honing the new liners sounds ok in my book.

(i'm just pointing out the facts)

Thats what i was fishing for , a bit of a detailed answer :lol:

Im understanding what your saying though mate, pretty simple when you work the costs out like that.

S

SILEIGHTY_DET

a lot of the drifting and racing teams were futsing around with the 2.35 stroker kits here in the states . they just couldnt seem to keep head gaskets in them . they used cometic head gaskets , ringed the sleeves and head , they even tried using 1/2 inch head studs . from all of my racing experience i have found that the 90mm bore is just too large no matter the sleeves and treatment . at least to get to last one whole season . i have been experimenting with 88mm bores and 90mm stroke , the reliability factor has gone up dramaticly . and that sets the displacement a little over 2.25L . when even the major teams couldnt get the 2.35 kits to work i figured that it would be unrealistic for me to get it to work , so we junked it .

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
stumo said:
got it running last night. Just need to sort some small things out then it should be time for running in.

200 miles then yeehaa

i might be selling my .86 3071 that's only done a few hundred miles.
Are you being corrupted by the thought of more power then?

P

pulsarboby

SILEIGHTY_DET said:
a lot of the drifting and racing teams were futsing around with the 2.35 stroker kits here in the states . they just couldnt seem to keep head gaskets in them . they used cometic head gaskets , ringed the sleeves and head , they even tried using 1/2 inch head studs . from all of my racing experience i have found that the 90mm bore is just too large no matter the sleeves and treatment . at least to get to last one whole season . i have been experimenting with 88mm bores and 90mm stroke , the reliability factor has gone up dramaticly . and that sets the displacement a little over 2.25L . when even the major teams couldnt get the 2.35 kits to work i figured that it would be unrealistic for me to get it to work , so we junked it .
i was gonna go for this stroker kit, but what you have said is exactly what ive been told;-)
they are horrendous for blowing head gaskets when under extreme loads on the track!
and thats with dropping the comp ratio too.
like you i decided against it, as the extra power and torque doesnt warrant the unreliability factor.
never posted this before as people would have just slated me, but i personally think that the 2.2 kit is still too hot for the engine to handle, but thats my own personal opinion!

Keira

pulsarboby said:
never posted this before as people would have just slated me, but i personally think that the 2.2 kit is still too hot for the engine to handle, but thats my own personal opinion!
that is pathetic tbh bob, are you that sensitive that you cant post something for fear of getting slated ? Who's going to slate you for saying something that maybe of benefit to people thinking of going with this set up ?

Plenty of people know about the problem, its not like its some huge undiscovered issue that nobody is aware of.

stumo

a stroker kit increases the stroke of the engine.

This kit isn't a stroker as it's increasing the bore size.