spearco intercoolers?

S

str_motorsport

Hi, i would like to buy a spearco intercooler in the usa to have my own front mount kit.
i have seen on ebay that there are a lot for sale.....just would like to know if they are any good....anyone has boutght a spearco intercooler on ebay??are they well done?good welds?
on pics they seem well made , and the price is really good.
what do you think?
thanks
david

S

str_motorsport

what do you think about it?is it a good intercooler?what about construction quality?
thanks

M

Muppet

Welds are not perfect but it is a nice intercooler. The intercooler is heavy as it is a bar and plate type not a tube and fin but they are suppose to be much more efficent.

regards purplemonster on muppets pc.

S

Sirnixalot

bar and plate are very efficient with a low pressure drop ....but think of this. If the intercooler conducts air through the core so freely and quickly that doesnt leave much time for it to be cooled does it :wink:

J

J-GTi-R

But at the same time, any restriction will only heat up the air flowing through it...

This is a good topic for discussion, anyone that can shed some more light on this please continue!

M

Muppet

a wired statement but i undertsand what u mean.

but the proof is in the using of the intercooler,and see how it works,i took a chance and spent £500 on my own kit,and it works very well ,my air temps are very low,the core is very big and deep and only just fits on the car,i will never need a bigger intercooler and is good for 600bhp? ( claimed figures and not mine ).
and the more boost i use the better the intercooler will work,hence i will be going for a much bigger turbo in the near future .
i would recommend this type of intercooler:)

i have some pictutres of the intercooler and it fitted on my car if any one would like to see them

purplemonster on muppets PC

S

str_motorsport

mate , if you could post some pics it would be a good starting point....

now i am a bit confused on which type of intercooler to choose....tube and fin..bar and plate....
standard one is tube and fin or bar and plate?

S

Sirnixalot

you want the piping from the turbo to the intercooler to help dissapate the heat, but the piping fomr the intercooler to the intake manifold to act as an insulator. Aluminum is better to use because its lighter. You usually find the cold side piping (between the IC and intake manifold) to be heat wrapped. In the case of IC piping aluminum rules SS drools

Hkondakci

str, that is a tube and fin design intercooler.

bar-and-plate IC are better for several reasons:

1. more mass than tube-and-fin IC's, thus more abbility to hold up heat and dissipate it afterwards; see it as an heat sink, this is especially an advantage in traffic jams
2. are much robuster in build, so can take damage as an FMIC better, and can much better withstand high levels of boost without flinching
3. sealing is superior over the tube-and fin design;
4. although they have more pressure-drop characteristcs (because of their dense fin-design), they have superior heat-dissepating ability for they keep the air-flow longer in the intercooler, thus more air becomes in contact met the IC material

Spearco IC are very good, and are commonly used by professional drag teams in the States.

If I'm not wrong the type R IC form HKS also use bar-and-plate design. Eventually ARC has some items too. But other Japanese brands use tube-and-fin design, as far as I'm aware.

I alos have a tube-and-fin IC :oops:

rgds
habib

S

str_motorsport

i imagine that each type of intercooler has it own adwantages....
for example the forge and pace one....bar and plate or tube and fin??
if phoenix power and other japanese brands uses tube and fin coolers they can0t be so bad!!!
so considering that the price of these intercoolers are wery similar, and that i will not run more than 1.2 bar, which should i choose?the spearco bar and plate(even if the welds are not so shiny) or the other one with tube and fin core(and very shiny look?)
thanks

Hkondakci

imagine that each type of intercooler has it own adwantages....
yes indeed

for example the forge and pace one....bar and plate or tube and fin??
as far as I'm aware of those kits both use tube-and-fin design IC's

if phoenix power and other japanese brands uses tube and fin coolers they can0t be so bad!!!
No tube-and-fin aren't bad at all, but for very serious applications bar-and-plate is often better; as I staded before I've go the Phoenix's Power FMIC which uses an Blitz LM type tube-and-fin IC core, iffecient enough upto 400hp+; it this IC fails my intention with my engine(i.e. isn't suffiencient with high boost and upto 500hp) then I need to swap it; probably to an bar-and-plate IC (HKS type R), or an double core TRUST tube-and-fin IC (410x264x115) since I like to IC-piping of this Phoenix's Power kit very much, and that TRUST IC (used on the Mazda RX7 FC3S) core fit's directly with the just end-tanks. :wink:

so considering that the price of these intercoolers are wery similar, and that i will not run more than 1.2 bar, which should i choose?the spearco bar and plate(even if the welds are not so shiny) or the other one with tube and fin core(and very shiny look?)
Normally bar-and-plate IC and dearer than tube-and-fin design IC's. But if you can find to specific types for the same price I would go for a bar-and-plate one; i.e. if they were both new and shiny...

rgds
habib

S

str_motorsport

thanks for the info!!but it is time to sell my gti-r.....i am afraid!!!