Snapped oil filter thread

Tim

I've sheared the thread that the oil filter attaches to, have just spoken to Bob who gave me a little advice and is sending me the replacement part. Can anyone supply pictures of what i'll need to remove to take the old unit out and put the new one in.

I'm struggling to see, but the late is fading so maybe it's obvious. One stumbling block is that the Y bracket is still attached, I can see this causing me problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Tim

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
How did you snap it? The filter should only be as hand tight as you can get it?

Doesn't it just screw in? I'm sure mine came loose a few years back and I just put it back in(unless I'm thinking of something else)

Last edited:

Tim

I was loosening the power steering fluid belt tensioner and i went a bit too far, it was fouling against the oil filter and it pulled it away from the block enough to snap.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
My power steering tensioner is nowhere near the oil filter. Is your filter standard or relocated on top of the engine somewhere?

stumo

I was loosening the power steering fluid belt tensioner and i went a bit too far, it was fouling against the oil filter and it pulled it away from the block enough to snap.

EH????

how the hell did you do that?

It's a pita to change the filter housing in situ but it can be done.:lol:

Tim

I think the hard pipes were moving were fouling against the filter, it's pretty tight down there due to the sandwich plate.

Does anyone have any photos of the back of the engine which will show what i need to remove in order to get it out?

Thanks chaps :thumb:

I've changed it in situ and what a nasty job.

Was fitting a oil cooler sandwich plate and over tightened it and snapped the thread.

It was the night before a trackday so pinched the housing off a mates engine that was sitting in his garage.

Got to bed about 5am, it was one of the worst nights of my life.

Dont have any pics but remember that it was a real pig to do.