smoke problem

G

GTiR SIMMYO

hi i only get this smoke on startup it then goes after 5 mins.if i stop and leave idleing for 5 mins it leaves a cloud of bluey white smoke as i pull away.no smoke as im driving hard or normal.also when im driving the car seems to hold back every now and then feels like its being choked then it kicks out a cloud of smoke and frees itself up.please help as this is driving me mad.:sad:

John

When it feels choked up and kicks out smoke what colour is the smoke?

If its black then I would say you are overfueling. Is there a really pungent smell of fuel on startup in the morning?

The white smoke on first start up is just condensation from a cold exhaust having hot gases run through it.

GTiR-Aholic

Either the oil seals for the turbo are worn which is most common, could be repaired but these days ebay breakers do turbos dirt cheap :)

However, it could also be the valve guides or piston rings in the engine that are worn, causing it to burn a lot of oil. Blue smoke is produced because of the burning of a lot of oil.

Do you not notice your oil level dropping?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I would have thought that if the turbo was gone it would puff on boost, but not when idling... at the very least you'd expect the smoke when the oil is hot and thin, not when the car is cold.
I would guess the rings are worn; when the revs are high the oil is still burning, but you don't notice it. When you're idling it's slowly building up.

I appreciate that people with a bit more experience than me probably do know better, it's just that the symptoms don't match what I'd expect for a worn turbo.

GTiR-Aholic

It could be either turbo or valve guides/piston rings.. I can't say really which sounds to be more the problem. But the reason you don't see it much when driving hard/normal is because the gasses are forced out harder.. for example when you smoke a cigarette and let the smoke just flow out your mouth not pushing it out (you get puffs of white cloudy smoke).. when you inhale and then blow it out forcingly (you see it faintly as it shoots out)..

It could be a possible cause for the restraining of power but at the same time, just check under the car after a 10min run to see if the exhaust is burning orange? - could have caused damage to the CAT which could be causing the restrained feeling of power loss.

Also, did you have the timing chain changed?.. could be the timing is off, maybe a tensioner or something needs adjusting.

GTIR-LOZ

when my turbo seals failed there was alot of blue smoke when cold then it cleared up when it got hot, with occasional puffs of blue smoke after high boosting could be valve stem oil seals though as well

karting

The white smoke on first start up is just condensation from a cold exhaust having hot gases run through it.
personally id say it was that one, has it started happening within the last few weeks, when it has started being frosty over night?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yes - I too have noticed that there's a lot of condensation from the exhaust when it gets cold... and it fogs up my rear window.
I understand what you mean about the turbo now... kinda what I was saying about the valve rings (which would have been my guess if it was naturally aspirated).
It's good to have learnt something today.

G

GTiR SIMMYO

thanks for your help guys my turbo is being rebuilt as we speak there was play in the shaft also the turbo housing is out of shape causing more oil to go into the turbo hopefully this causes the problem fingers crossed.i hope it isnt my valve seals as i had a recent rebuild less than 2000 miles ago and they was changed.