Slow starting

andy_tt

Hi guys. Ive only had my pulsar a few months now and it only realy gets used at weekends. When i first got it, it started great but now its getting colder its taking alot longer to start. Once its hot it seems ok. I was a ford man up till now and it always started on the button. Just wondering do pulsars take along crank when cold? or does it sound like theres a problem? I tried another battery today and didnt seem to make much difference.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
They do have small batteries, and if the engine is cold the oil will be thicker so it takes more effort.
I've never really had any problems with mine though. - Do you have any other problems; I'm just wondering if your temperature sensor had gone and it's not recognising that it's cold (and so not engaging compensating for it).

andy_tt

the temp gauge reads fine, does the pcm use the same signal? On the odd occasion when cranking its stops for a second, but then carries on, almost as if its hydraulicing on to much fuel. the only other problem ive had was a misfire on cylinder 1 due to water ingress. dried it up and hasnt missed since.

andy_tt

Rite ill have to pick up some tools and have a play. they could be uprated leads, there red. i tried it again today to see if the battery had made a difference but was the same. jump started it and i turned over alot quicker, and started after a few secs, so i think its either not charging or ive got 2 duff battries. out of curiosity what size battries are you using? i think the water same through the vents, as it was after a heavy down pour.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm pretty sure I'm using a '054' from Excide/Numax/Varta or something like that (that part code seems to be the same across all of them).
I think it had a 'HB028' from Halfrauds before.
197x127x225mm (or there abouts) ~40AH 330CCA with small (13mm? terminals) - also fits a pre 1992 Micra. Cost me about £50 installed, but they can be as cheap as ~£35

You could try the leads; I've heard that the Nissan leads are good, and sometimes the aftermarket ones are more trouble than they're worth (yours sound like Magnecores).

Last edited: