silencer again...

skiddusmarkus

Just go to an exhaust builder and ask them what they have that will fit.They can look, measure and show you exactly what they have.Don't start guessing with ebay parts.If you want it quieter then a large back box is best as there is a lot more room there under the boot than anywhere else under the car.
The only person I know who has managed to fit their own silencer in place of the cat is Red Reading but he can weld and knows these cars backwards.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If you want it in the middle, it's more likely to be one of the "hot dog" or "cherry bomb" type silencers; simply for the space.
If you want it at the back, they can fit almost anything... but it's probably not just a weld-in job because at the very least you've got one 90 degree bend... and if you want it to exit the same side it will need to do at least one more. - All those bends slow the flow down, which is why people keep suggesting having it exit on the other side.

Mr B

Silencer at the back under boot area is the way to go if needing to reduce sound level drastically.
As others point out moving tail-pipe exit to near-side allows better exhaust pipe flow design routing but it can be done to exit standard off-side exit without being highly performance crippling ...
If moving exit you can cut original exit neatly from bumper & cut new one on near-side to match cut section of original exit & swap them & plastic weld & refinish. Done well not cheap, done cheap looks tat ...
I have played with mongoose & extra silencer mid system/cat section & improvements are not drastic ...

jamieddd

yeh.. other option is if i put two in one in mid and rear(small boxes).. rear one being straight inline with the right exit.. dont know if this would effect performance..am looking into it so much because i want to do it proper not cock it up

skiddusmarkus

Every box you fit will cost you extra, but if you can get away with just 1 big one at the back then why bother with any others?I have a small silencer where the cat was, a cherry bomb type further down then a small backbox under the boot.I wish I'd just had 1 massive backbox and been done with it but ended up with this setup as the exhaust place said I'd be ok with just the front 2 but then it was too loud and I had an extra one fitted.

jamieddd

ALL DONE WOOOO £150! dead quiet roars gentely at 5000rpm big box at the back left side exit all stainless 2.5"

Mr B

Good price if result is what you wanted picture would be good. As mentioned before large backbox, is the way to go for quiet system.

jamieddd

Its a bit too quiet lol. Gosh i cant win ! Might have to sell it now anyone interested lol really quiet system!!?
I don't know how to upload photos :oops:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah... don't go trying to sell it as an upaid member as the posts will disappear.

To upload the photos you need to host them somewhere; I use Picasa, but a lot of people use Photobucket. - It makes no difference.
You need to get the image link as a URL, then click on the little icon (above) of a landscape painting; select "from URL" and un-check the box about caching it (you don't have the rights), paste in the URL and click <OK> - *BAM* image in thread.

I think full members can host a few images on the forum if they want to upload them that way, but it's one of those features that comes and goes.

Mr B

Get them used a slightly shorter rear box & sell current one. You could move fog light into original exhaust bumper indent to give it a purpose & help disguise the switch to NS exit ...