Signs of timing..

P

pushermanR

What are the main symptons when your timing is off....
Getting a lack of power through the rev range(loads of roar but no punch)..
Checked all the plugs(and gaps),leads,dizzy,rotorarm,air leaks the works!!!
The car revs full up the rev range but seems a little slow getting up there...
Any ideas anybody!! :? :?

I

Innovate Performance

This is a silly thing but you clutch is not slipping is it.

P

pushermanR

What sound will that make(it makes that many random noises).....
Whats the best test 2 do to show clutch slip.... :?

G

GAZ P

Does the car rev freely when in gear but bon't go anywhere fast :?: Other way to check clutch try pulling away wiv handbrake on, car should stall :) , only any good if your handbrake holds :oops:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Put it in 5th at maybe 30ish and floor it. If it's your clutch, eventually the engine revs will rise and the speed won't increase at the same rate. (It's a similar feeling to being in neutral, the engine revs rise but you don't feel like you're accelerating.)

P

pushermanR

Will give it a test tomorrow....
If the clutch is on way out on this beast I know the clutch is about 275 for a Helix Paddle...but how much labour would be involved...is it an engine out jobby :( :(

A

Anonymous

Mate I have the same prob, Im going through the car to see whats wrong as well and found out that my timing has never been changed from the factory! :shock:

P

pushermanR

Went to halfords got a timing light(I hate halfords)...The timing was set at 15...changed it to 20...and now its running much stronger through the rev range..plus tried all those clutch tests from Fast Guy and it past with flying colours :lol: :lol:

Ps The timing light now is broken i dropped the wires on the manifold and bang it shorted out...leaving me with some real nice burns.. :oops: :oops:

B

Brett G

Mine too has similar symptoms but only intermitently! :roll: but mines certainly not clutch slip... Its only happened 2 or 3 times, yesterday being one of those and its quite strange because the boost is there and it feels as if the engine is under much more load when you floor it, and it doesn't pick up as quickly (very deep engine tone) almost as if you were towing something!? :? but as you start to let off the car pulls slightly making it kind of juddery. Its like its really holding back but when you floor it gently it can feel very normal as if its not holding back. Are these the symptoms of the det sensor kicking in? As it feels like how i would imagine the timing being out would feel although if it was the timing it would be there all the time but its only happened 2 or 3 times??

Brett