Side impact bars

O

Odin

kenan said:
just been out "testing" my new brakes and can feel the abs kicking in. I'm told you can take the fuse out, must search for that thread

I just binned the whole bl00dy system mate, The brakes feel a lot better now 8) ;-) .

Of cause you have to be able to drive an non ABS equipped car, Remember to lift your foot off the pedal and reapply the brakes if its starts to lock up in the wet.

It amazes me how we managed all those years ago, It seems that not many of us are left who can manage with out it :doh: :roll: ;-) .

Rob

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Well my last car was a 205 gti without ABS so know how to deal with the brakes:whip2:

antgtir

I think Mr GTiR's R is a non abs and thats not an RB model, he'd have to confirm that though.

As far as i was aware the abs was an add on after a certain time (as standard) or an add on for extra £'s, maybe wrong though.

Ant.

O

Odin

I've done a 150 miles now with ABS removed now and I can report that I'm liking the feel of the breaks a lot.

Rob

I've a 1 1/2 pair of spare doors and i was wondering why 1 of them was fairly light. Then i realised then that the complete set had side impact bars...
I was quite impressed that the side impact bars had like 3 35mm diameter bars across with a metal plate over it for added strength...

I did remember somewhere on this website there was a floating picture of an extremely late spec gtir with a driver side airbag that looks very similiar to the 4 spoke ugly looking s14 200sx steering wheels.

vss irvine

marcymarc said:
All gtirs have abs except the rb models (think a few of those have it to)

Your car should have an abs light rather than one that says antilock (early cars)
not all pulsars have abs, it was a option.

kirko

marcymarc said:

Your car should have an abs light rather than one that says antilock (early cars)

no they dont abs was an option on most models

Mr GTiR

marcymarc said:
antgtir said:
I think Mr GTiR's R is a non abs and thats not an RB model, he'd have to confirm that though.
My car is a 1990 model and one of the first batch. It come with no ABS and had the clutch support bracket fitted. It's got a sunroof so defo not the RB model.

youngsyp

marcymarc said:
Mine doesn't !

As VSS Irvine has pointed out, from 93 onwards, it was an option.

Paul

O

Odin

GTi-R23 said:
How much work is it to remove the abs then Rob? And what exactly did you remove?

I removed the lot, well just about everything apart from the wiring.

I removed all the wheel sensors and the abs ECU in the car as well as the accumulator under the bonnet, And swapped the distribution block on the fire wall for the correct non ABS version and the matching non ABS brake lines.

Rob