setting up cams

coxie

:? right i am going to be building the head section of my engine in the next few weeks.it consists of the following

fully ported and polished head
hks 264 cams
jun vernier cam wheels
standard springs and valves

where would be best to set the verniers to on the adjustment scale.
anyone any previous experience or views on this matter

all help greatly appreciated :twisted: 8)

:?: should i invest in a set of rocker stoppers aswell :?:

coxie

yes i am only just down the road from hiteq but they have had nowt to do with this restoration rebuild.am building the lump with my mate from nissan

hope to get hiteq to fit the management when its all running etc.

G

gareth231

Dont know if you know this already but this how your meant to time up the cam properly. Its not specific to a gtir, but any car you fit high performance cam to.

The verniers need to be set on zero, you need to time the bottom end up 1st (properly, not just using the orginal mark, as usually its not spot on) Use a DTI (dial test indiactor) to find TDC.

You then make a pointer so it indicates where TDC is, you then use a dial scale (large disc, with 360 degree scale on it, you can get them from burtons etc) and set this so the pointer is pointing on zero.

The head is the same, you use a dti on each cam to find its highest lift, (on plug 1) you then set the verniers to zero. Most performance cams need to be set up for example to 10 degrees after tdc, so once the cam belt / chain has been fitted and nothing has moved, you can slacken the verniers off and turn is it to the desired amount of degrees and lock it off again

Hope it makes some sort of sense :?