sensor in cat

kirko

could someone tell me more about the sensor in the cat,what it does etc. and how or if it affects performance :? :? :?: :?:

H

hijacker1

kirko said:
could someone tell me more about the sensor in the cat,what it does etc. and how or if it affects performance :? :? :?: :?:
i think it measures the temp and most ppl disconnect it when they decat there cars.i have heard it can be disconnected from sumwer under the seat.

A

Anonymous

The sensor in the cat, is only there so that when a certain temperature is reached, the light on the dash turns on. THe sensor is not used for anything else. Thats why people disconnect them or even cut them with no side effects.

THats what it says on the driver's sun visor, it mentions something like when the light is on the dash dont park ontop of dry grass or leaves as they could catch on fire.

Gino

J

J-GTi-R

It will trigger limp-home mode if you break it trying to get it out of the old cat like the guy who fitted my exhaust did. Unplugging it is simple enough though, but you do have to take the driver's seat out to get at the plug.

kirko

cheers for that :p :p reason i asked was mine is broken just kept it to plug the hole,i will disconnect it completely now,i didnt want to trigger a light in the dash which would always be on

A

Anonymous

J-GTi-R said:
It will trigger limp-home mode if you break it trying to get it out of the old cat like the guy who fitted my exhaust did. Unplugging it is simple enough though, but you do have to take the driver's seat out to get at the plug.
I know of people who have cut this sensor and nothing has happened. And have been told by many that the ECU does not use this sensor for any calculations or references.

Gino

A

AZ STE

Take the pasengers seat out and you will see a braided steel cable going in near the handbrake tunnel this is the cable :wink:

JU5TY

J-GTi-R said:
Unplugging it is simple enough though, but you do have to take the driver's seat out to get at the plug.
AZ STE said:
Take the pasengers seat out and you will see a braided steel cable going in near the handbrake tunnel this is the cable :wink:
Is it the driver or passenger side seat that we remove to un plug the cable, or can you get to it from both sides?

A

Anonymous

Its under the carpet on the driver's side (RHD models)

Gino

J

J-GTi-R

I know of people who have cut this sensor and nothing has happened. And have been told by many that the ECU does not use this sensor for any calculations or references.
All completely true, but I was left with half a sensor dangling under the car with the sizzling sausage light glowing on the dash. Every time I stopped in traffic for more than a minute it would go into limp home mode as a sensor fault had been registered. Unplugging it cured the problem immediately... 8)