SARD FPR adaptor issue

c20ona

Hi guys,

Hope you can help. I recently fitted a SARD Regulator to the car and while fitting the new adaptor to the fuel rail, i noticed that the union for connecting the fuel feed only threads on half way then stops ?. Anyone else have this reg and if so, is your adaptor/union the same ?. Reason i ask is that mine pisses fuel from the exposed thread the second the bast is primed / started (down the back of the engine, not a good thing). Do i have the incorrect union ?
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Kenny

N

Ninj-r

Mine only went on half way as well, didn't p!ss fuel everywhere though.

have you crossthreaded it?

c20ona

I suspected it only went that far as all the pics of the adaptor show this too. But it did thread on no probs right upto about halfway, then stop. Put it on my fuel rail, which was fine before, and when it was primed, fuel started dripping from the adaptor ?. Can't figure it ?. Will need to strip down and have another look.
Cheers for the reply though.

Kenny

skiddusmarkus

Thread resurrection.Anyone got any photos of the installation?I don't want to put my fpr on the inner wing as that would be very close to where I have a battery connector block and the injector pack thingy.Both bad things to have near fuel I think :p.

I cannot put it on the firewall due to other stuff in the way and have removed most brackets, was thinking of zip tieing it to the strut brace close to where the original fpr is, through the holes in the provided bracket.Not ideal I know.

Also, did anyone feel they needed to use plumbers tape on the threads or did they get good enough seal without?Is ptfe corroded by petrol?

skiddusmarkus

The adapter I got off ebay, supposedly for our car pisses fuel out too.The o-ring is a poor fit as its too loose inside the rail and the flared bit the fuel pipe connects to is too small and doesn't give a good seal.I will be sending mine back, glad I bought Steve's FSE one now.

Also, the pressure guage I bought for my SARD fpr doesn't screw all the way in and leaks.It makes me think it might have a tapered thread but it feels if I tighten it any more it will wreck the thread as the fpr is alluminium and the guage is steel.Others must have fitted these, how was yours?Is it ok to use plumbers tape to get a better seal?

shroom

was going to say try and use some plumbing tape as you said, I have not fitted one myself but would have probably used that anyway, ;)

skiddusmarkus

Well the grub screw that blanks off the fitting for the guage had it on, so I assume its ok to use.Should I be using it on all the fittings though, they don't feel that great imo.Blody annoying when its pissing fuel.

shroom

think it should be ok, seem to remember watching a race car was born and think it was the fuel system and stuff he was putting it onl, it cant hurt to try I suppose

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yes, thread tape is just PTFE. You won't find anything much more inert than that.

skiddusmarkus

The problem is that petrol supposedly eats the tape so you can end up with bits of tape clogging shit up.I have been reading up on it and if you leave the 1st few threads clear and then wrap tape around in the direction of the thread it should be ok.
I have also bought a couple of bolts to replace those complete and utter shit screws Nissan saw fit to use to hold the fpr to the rail that just seize on and are an arse to get off.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You're not gonna get anything that's much more chemically resistant than PTFE; it's rated as "excellent" against toluene and just about any other solvent you could think of... it's about the only thing you can put HF in too, so it's extremely resistant to oxidising agents.

I don't think the issue is the petrol eating it, more likely it's small bits of it tearing off as you tighten it up.

EDIT: I'm talking from a chemist's perspective; I have no vested interest in the product, but I think PTFE is pretty good stuff and I'll happily use it on any of our equipment in the lab. - Perhaps it needs to be gas tape rather than plumbing tape; that's thicker and less likely to break when you tighten it up?