Samco rear spring???

J

jpward

Just got round to changing my rear hoses and now noticed an internal spring in the larger hose assuming it because of the suction on the water pump did people use it on fitting the Samco kit?

Also still unsure which of the hoses you can snip/block to keep the water away from the TB's can see the upward one from one of Robs pics but which other one?

Also a quick one for those that have fitted extra temp sensors where did you mount them??

Thanks

J

jpward

Odin said:
I re used the spring just in case, It wont do any harm.

Rob
Thanks Rob i was thinking it would be better to put it in rather than not and need to later on after engine is in again! :doh:

Here where did you A, mount your Motec sensors and B, What other inlet heater tract pipe did you block other than the left upward one in the pic you had up?

J

jpward

Thanks Rob

What about your Coolant and map sensors location?

noriek2003

rob beat me to it....motec will recognise the standard water temp sensor, for the map sensor link the four points off the throttle bodies to one common chamber and use that for the line to the map sensor,the ait sensor ideally wants to be in the intercooler pipe run not in the plenum.

all the info, manuals, training seminar notes, wiring diagrams etc.etc is on the motec site...

people say motec is expensive but the backup and support is, imho second to none

noriek2003

Odin said:
I'm not sure I agree with that even if it's what motec say
yeah, you are probably right, i mean wtf do motec know about the best position to place the sensors for their ecus :doh: :lol:

what you are meant to be measuring is the air temperature entering the inlet not temperature at the inlet. The ecu will alter the fueling and ignition using the data given by the air temp sensor so needs an accurate reading.

The problem that can be caused with it being in the plenum is on some set ups there will be a degree of heat soak in the plenum from the head that wont be evident in the intercooler pipe run, therefore giving false readings to the sensor ;-)

Last edited:
J

jpward

Odin said:
The Motec used the standard sensors, All be it brand new ones I bought to replace them.

Rob
Thought the standads were a bit less than accurate thats now reasuring to know though i have them in hand Dooh! :doh:

Yes I know about the heat soak issue K but as i will still be using the top mount then eventually FMIC the plenum is a better choic and i too have a 3mm inlet gasket. Thinking about a spacer like robs but not needed in my view (standard tubby :oops: ).

My sensor looks like a copper probe with a plastic shroud

Here you two stop bitchin! :lol:

noriek2003

Odin said:
I think you're trying to say I'm right and you're wrong ;-) or was it that we're both right :lol: :lol: :lol: .
nope, you are wrong. Its the attention to detail that makes all the difference :lol:

you already have a sensor (water temp/eng temp) monitoring the heat of the engine so heat at the intake really isn't a concern ;-)

jp on a top mount, i'd be sticking it in the outlet of the intercooler, probably on the underside so its nicely hidden.

take a look at the motec site, it really is awesome for learning about their systems

http://www.motec.com.au/support/techsupportUK/

noriek2003

the world hasn't seen a rebuild like my mine yet mate, hence why its taken so long ;)

just about any fool could cobble together a standardish looking turd with a badly made bagpipe looking thing for an exhaust manifold :lol:

J

jpward

noriek2003 said:
nope, you are wrong. Its the attention to detail that makes all the difference :lol:

you already have a sensor (water temp/eng temp) monitoring the heat of the engine so heat at the intake really isn't a concern ;-)

jp on a top mount, i'd be sticking it in the outlet of the intercooler, probably on the underside so its nicely hidden.

take a look at the motec site, it really is awesome for learning about their systems

http://www.motec.com.au/support/techsupportUK/
I know how good Motec are just I am using an AEM :-D

thought about outlet but then i would have to re-work it later and i am a lazy sod :p

noriek2003

Odin said:
Well it made 517 bhp so wasn't that badly made so it would seem,
it was one up from an ebay jobbie in my eyes tbh :-D with its 5 year old kiddie with a pastry cutter style ports in the head flange :shock: even the ching chongs get that bit right :lol:

As for your build I'm not sure if the world is ready for an invalid carriage kinda green snot mobile that is hardly likely to ever see the light of day ;-) :lol: . Do You ?!!!!
probably not no :lol:

J

jpward

Only problem I see with that is that is the temp leaving the engine and not entering it!

Braveheart

vss irvine said:
the above position is correct if you want to keep an eye on overall engine temp
I'm glad you said that Martyn, I did research the cooling prior to fitting the boss.
I will still have the OE temp sensors reporting back to the ECU but wanted an acurate temp reading that would tell me if the block was too hot.

CanadianR

bump.

I have fitted 5 hoses from the 7 piece ancillary hose kit. I have a question about the long straight thin samco pipe. Where does it go? There is one spot I think it could go, but it seems to be about 2x as long as the oem hose that is there. does anybody know what I'm talking about? Do I need to cut the hose to length? I am hesitant to since the rest of the pipes fit perfect with no cutting whatsoever.

The hose I`m thinking it is is 14056 + C. however the oem hose is about half as long as the samco hose.

Last edited:
J

jpward

bump.

I have fitted 5 hoses from the 7 piece ancillary hose kit. I have a question about the long straight thin samco pipe. Where does it go? There is one spot I think it could go, but it seems to be about 2x as long as the oem hose that is there. does anybody know what I'm talking about? Do I need to cut the hose to length? I am hesitant to since the rest of the pipes fit perfect with no cutting whatsoever.
Hi there no you dont need to cut any, if memory is correct then it goes between the 2-3 inlets at the bottom might have a photo somewhere i'll have a look.

J

MacK_Gtir

i just fitted mine, i couldnt fit that hose u mentioned. its just to long i had to trim a wee bit to get it to fit about a cm