Running without water on turbo?

billy187

Will i be alright running without water on my turbo? its a new GT2871R...

The less pipes the better if i can get away with it 8)

billy187

As far as i know its the oil that cools the turbo down when the engine is running, the water only takes effect if at all when the engine is off....

May be wrong though...

I have seen cars running bb turbos without water so was just curious...

geoff pine

As far as i know its the oil that cools the turbo down when the engine is running, the water only takes effect if at all when the engine is off....

May be wrong though...

I have seen cars running bb turbos without water so was just curious...
The water stops circulating when you switch off so just soaks up heat??but if you read up on why you don't need a turbo timer its because of water cooled turbos. Which are supposed to stop the oil solidifying in the return pipe after along hard run? you may have a point but if you are wrong it could get expensive :frusty:

keastygtir

A lot of the 200sx boys run without water. I also ran a t28 on my s13 with no water and it was fine. I think that you have to be more careful with cool down though.

eastwood

The Coolant is there for additional cooling some turbos are only oil cooled however if its has coolant lines as well they are there for a reason the turbo will work fine but will probably not last as long. I upgraded a car (not a GTIR) I had that had an oil cooled turbo to one that was oil and water cooled because it kept eating turbos with the amount of boost I was running with the oil/water cooled one I never replaced it.

ashills

BB turbos need the water to stay connected so as not to damage them
journal bearing turbos are fine without the water it may reduce the life by a small % but you'll blow it up before it gets to 100000000 miles lol