Running in a new engine

J

J-GTi-R

Yeah, I have read other versions of the same theory before, there's more than a couple of people who do it this way.

I guy I know ran his new WRX in last year using the 'cane it from the word go' method (my brother rang me from the passenger seat the day he picked it up. The guy was doing 125mph down the M3 racing a bike at the time...). I can't say it was any faster than any other WRX I've been in (they all feel slow to me, lol), but he certainly didn't have any problems with it.

zia

i agree that running in without giving it a littlestick during driving is important,but then you have to know how far not to take it i.e thrashing it or overloading it too much.
also the that changing the oil after break in is important.

zia

skiddusmarkus

I'd be interested in what tuners have to say about this.I've heard DP have a shorter more aggressive run in period than other tuners :?: .
I suppose it's in the tuners interest for people to treat new engines more gently as the line between running it in and trashing it might be harder for some people to interpret than others and a wrecked new engine looks bad for a tuner(please no hijacking here).

A

antilag

i no a turen that recomened 2000+ miles for a runin to me thats an uprated engines life lol

gtirpulsar

I read that article before having mine rebuilt, spoke to a few people and got conflicting ideas. Set it in my mind that I would nanny it for the first 500 miles and then do the occasional thrash. Flew over to Germany to pick it up. Talking to one of the garage mechanics, about how they had run my car in for about 150 miles to make sure it was okay. For him to casually drop in "Its fast isn't it... I saw 1.2bar!!"
Oh well, dumfounded anger aside, the car is still running well after 8K miles or so

G

GTI-R Kid

It makes for very interesting reading, and there seems to be plenty of thought and method to the approach.

I don't know how tuners would react to such suggestions though, and how many people have driven their car with less than 20 miles on the new/rebuilt engine?

While it might make good sense to try it - not many would get the opportunity to load their engine for the first 20-100 miles.

Has anyone actually tried this that you know of and what were the results (aside from J who's already given an example)?

A

AZ STE

I think it depends on whats been done ok crank pistons valves.But if youve put a brand new unspun turbo and complete gearbox in :shock:.

G

GTI-R Kid

skiddusmarkus said:
I'm going to email this thread to the well known tuners(Hiteq,DP,RCD&ND) and see what they think.
Let us know what they say Skid?

As i read more through the site its getting more and more interesting with all the "thinking outside the box" developments yielding great results! :shock:

skiddusmarkus

I got a reply already from a well known reputable tuner.

Hello Simon ,
I think a newly biult engine always runs a little bit " tighter " , which is why we advise doing 1k miles before giving them any real stick , and even after that, we keep them at low boost for a further period , but thats really just to make sure everything is ok , rarther than "running in " . After a full rebiuld I will always take the car out myself , and put a few miles on them to get everything up to max temp , then once we have checked for leaks etc , I will run it on the road giving it a few quick stabs to make the turbo reach full boost , and then lift. I do this as , the boost will force the rings out against the cylinder walls, which really helps them bed in , and then once you lift , creating max vacum , the oil will be drawn up the cylinder walls to stop any glazing. When doing this I am careful not to use too high an rpm , as its the pressure in the cylinder we are trying to get.
All this is done in the first 20-30 miles. Then once everything has been checked , and we are happy its ok , we tell the customer to use up to 4k rpm for the first 500 miles , but always tell them about stabbing the pedal a few times during this time.
Then we raise the rpm limit by 500 every 100 miles from then on. Once they have done approx 1k miles , we get them to drive the car normal but on low boost for another 500 miles , after that if everything is ok , we do an oil/filter change , and set it up as per spec.

Nad

That seems to mirror what it says on the site about the first 20miles and I totally agree. You should sign up to the rest of the site, good read about the head porting and making the inlets smaller ;)

Nad

bengilmore

My engine will need to be run in, in a couple of weeks. Do u think i should change the oil and filter after 20 miles :?: