RPM

Cathode

Sorry for the ambiguous title, so please bare with me.

The pulsar is running the 1 bar loop with the Garrett GT28.
Pulls 1 bar in 2nd, 1.3 in 3rd, pretty much the same in 4th and just under a bar in 5th @ WOT more or less.
This is according to my after market boost gauge. These are consistent stats.

I've covered roughly 600 miles in my pulsar after its rebuild. Its had a couple of oil changes. It's seen all manner of driving styles in that time. Today I decided to really pin it and i noticed that it doesn't really want to go beyond 6000 rpm so I don't push it.

My question is, is that normal? it's not mapped to that turbo yet. Don't get me wrong, the car really flies along and really doesn't need to go round to 7000 rpm but I'm just wondering why it wouldn't want to.

if anyone has any points please chime in.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Silly question haveyou checked the spark gaps or changed the leads and dizzy?

Maybe a ignition thing?

Cathode

No, I haven’t checked the spark gap. Even though they are new NGK sparkles they are they same as the old ones when the car would rev higher IIRC.

Nissan leads but I have new ones. Maybe use the new ones and check the gaps just to be sure.

Couldn’t hurt.

Could it be fuelling? Because it’s not mapped to that turbo?

Cathode

i've checked the timing to death and the ignition Twice. 15 degrees, it's right on the money.
i changed the HT leads for new ones.
rotary cap seems fine.
checked the spark plugs and the gap seems to be correct and they are a light biscuit colour on the end.
Perhaps on the lighter side so probably running a bit lean @ high revs which i think i read somewhere when the engine is on a 1 bar loop.
took it out for a spin but it still seems to be out of breath by 6k RPM.
Gets there with good response and a bucket load of torque from the turbo.
its probably just the map which'll be remedied very soon now.
i'll see what happens.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
It could be the map?

Normally most GT28 turbos and 1 bar loops don't normally have any issues with these mods as the standard map is quite rich from Nissan
(its around the 10afr's with WOT)

Is it a standard ECU?

Cathode

No, it's some unbranded chipped ECU that is mapped upto 1.2 bar (apparently)

i'm no expert but i was wondering if it could be because of the combination of the map and the fact that it could be running quite lean because the map was for the standard Garrett and not the GT2871r which is blowing more air. i'm not sure.

On a different note though, the engine runs/boosts well (touch wood) and i just got my new AEM AFR which i'm going to install this weekend.
i'm interested to see what it'll be running at.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Yeah I'd not boost it until you can see the AFR's.

It might be running lean or even like mine did, have mild detonation which caused a number of issues with the engine!

I would look at getting some sort of better ECU that has more control and get it remapped as soon as you can.

Cathode

Well, I've got the AFR now, spent some time yesterday taking the front section of the exhaust off to drill and weld a boss to it for the set up. I've got an Apexi ECU to go on it too so once I've got the AFR sorted I'll get it mapped and see what comes of it.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Exactly what Andy says. A 2871r will flow more than a T28. It will need more fuel. Hopefully no damage done but get youafr readings to check.

More flow equals more fuel and boost which might require smaller plug gaps of 0.6mm on a standard ignition.

Cathode

Thanks for this Campbell. The more people back up a point the more i understand it for some reason. i get what you're saying. i''ll get some smaller plugs.

Cathode

What would be the next step up from standard plugs? Are the standard plugs 0.6? I’m a bit green to this so I need 0.5? Would that be right.?

I have had a search on here but I’m blinded by science a bit.

Last edited:

astarozna

What he refers to i a gap between the electrode. It’s usually 0.8-0.7mm. More boost means it’s harder for plug to ignite hence smaller gap. Then there’s a heat range

Cathode

Aha, I see. Thanks for this!! Getting a little wiser as I go. I appreciate the guidance and advice people. Awesome stuff.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Agree with Astrazona. I've had a few iridium plugs fail on my pulsar. The BCR8s are as tough as old boots and work fine. Smaller plug gaps may make your low rev and idle less smooth but it won't hurt the car. A refresh of your ignition system can also help.