Rev counter erratic

Jonesy

My rev counter jumps about all over the place when the car is first started, but once the car has warmed up it seems to read better but still not spot on. Also even when the ignition is on but the car isn't running, the rev counter jumps about at 1000 rpm.
My apexi SAFC reads spot on, is the signal taken from the same place, which would prove its either wiring or the rev counter its self thats faulty.
Any help appreciated Cheers

CARLGTIR

Sorry cant help you but I have the same problem, it seems as if there is a loose wire somewhere as some days it'll be there and other days not? please help!

Jonesy

I'm glad to see im not alone. I'm planning on having a look at mine at the weekend i'll let you's no if i have any success.

B

boozyboo

nutty rev counter

has any one found a cure for this (apart from aftermarket counter) its driving me up the wall aswell. :confused: :x :confused:

P

pulsarboby

most of the problems are caused through people changing the clock faces, and not aligning needles correctly.
people seem to forget that these are precision instruments and must be handled with extreme care.
only way forward is to get another set of clocks really that are unmolested.

btw jonesy.....i think it was you that used my method of shimming! you said you had a punch which was the perfect size for banging out the gauges, have you got one i could buy off you or can you tell me where you bought that one from as im getting quite a few shimming jobs, and its a pain in the butt keep cutting the things with snips lol cheers mate:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonesy

It was actually my dads punch, i'll have a word with him see where he got it, or get any part numbers off it and get back to you.
He's also a member on here username jjs, if you want to speak to him but ill have a word with him anyway.

P

pulsarboby

cheers mr jonesy, would be a big help if i could get hold of one, thanks!

A

another sunny

I have had similar problems with my rev counter and occasionaly with my speedo. I fitted white dials and have had no problems until i fitted an Apexi turbo timer, now i have problems. Just a thought!

Fusion Ed

The dials are made of fairly low quality materials and connections break down with age, often with all the connections being re-soldered they work fine again, I have had to do this to a few now.