RESTRICTOR PIPE

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

Please can somebody tell me what the restricor pipe is? :oops:
as im only boosting 0.5 bar in standard ( with the boost controller turned off) .

i run 1 piece of normal hose from the plenum to the controller and then some plain hose from the controller to the actuator. i take it this sits inbetween there? if so do i need it?
cheers

geetee

You shouldn't need it if you're using a boost controller.

What boost do you get using the boost contoller? No more than 5psi??

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

nah mate, with the boost controller turned on i can get anything upto 2 bar but when i turn it off (so its just passive) i only get 0.5 bar max whereas i was getting at least 0.6 when i first got her in standard :?

C

charlie

does it matter then? :? surely u can just set low boost on your controller as .6

geetee

Yep - not having the restrictor tube will cause you to boost low if you turn off ur boost controller.

As charlie says...... meeow :lol:

No really, your boost controller should have a Lo and Hi boost setting.... use the Lo boost setting to set a standard boost level and u'll be fine.

btw - what boost controller ru using?

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Or you could put the restrictor back in for your low boost, then have a medium and high settings on your boost controller. :wink:

The restrictor should be in the line from the plenum to the intercooler metal pipe.

geetee

charlie - I didn't mean bitchy.... I was referring to those ads on tv with Charlie's Cat... "Charlie says - don't take strange pills of blokes with thick glasses" etc...

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

thats cool so long as i know theres not a fault with it then thats ok.
btw its a greddy profec a boost controller 8)

J

J-GTi-R

It depends how the boost controller has been put in. 0.5 bar is actually the base level boost the car runs at, not 0.7 as some people think. The standard car has a boost solenoid that bleeds off about 0.2 bar for 'standard' boost of 0.7 bar. If the car goes into safe mode, the solenoid is switched off, and you get the base level boost of 0.5 bar.

However, quite often when a boost controller is installed, the standard solenoid is taken out and thrown away, as it's not a great deal of use anymore. Thus when you turn the boost controller off, you don't get 0.7 bar as the standard boost level, but 0.5.

c20ona

i've got the same controller and get the same boost when turned off.i've tried with and without the restrictor and it makes no difference apart from having to re-set the low and high boost switches.and i also tossed the std solinoid as it became pointless.so i wouldn't worry about it buddy.very handy though if your taking your car into a garage and dont wasnt some spotty MOT toss to race the t1ts out of it (cant do much with 5psi - just hide the controller). :wink: