Reshimming Tomei Cams

skiddusmarkus

Tomei Specify 0.01mm valve clearance but Nissan shims only come in 0.05mm increments.Has anyone else fitted them and how did they get round this?

J

jiw

are you sure it is 0.01mm? if this is the clearence then when the engine is hot and the valvetrain expands due to this heat the clearence of 0.01 mm will soon dissapear!! jeff

zia

i don,t think the collet or shim really expand because thier not aluminium but 0.01m is bit too close. what they,ll have to do is fit the cams and then measure clearances and go from there.

zia

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
According to the manual, the shims comes in 0.025mm increments, but it still doesn't help.
Is it definately 0.01mm?

J

jiw

come to think of it i dont think feeler guages at one hundredth of a millimetre :?

A

ard1ey

Here it says the cold valve clearance is 0.15mm. Also, as Nissan specify a camshaft clearance and a valve clearance which one do you reckon Tomei are on about?

skiddusmarkus

Errrr fook knows :oops: .They have fitted/removed the cams and measured and are consulting with other tuners.I wish I could speak Japanese :lol: .

P

paulrandy

Tomei Specify 0.01mm valve clearance
Err i beleive thats probably suppose to be 10 thou ie 0.01in which would sound about right - 0.26mm most engines run 8 to 10 thou clearance.

G

GAZ P

After rebuilding my engine I needed to re-shim my Piper cams, took it up to DP who had let me use their workshop for the rebuild.They have a large pot of shims they share with Hitec, I think Nissan want £25 per shim :x & we've got 16 :!: Measured the clearance on the back of each cam lobe with feeler blades, nearly all of mine were loose :shock: so after removing the buckets we fitted larger shims.If your careful & have a skilled mechanic :lol: it can be done in situe by levering down on the head of the valve and using a magnet to pick up the shim :lol: :wink: :lol: The clearance your after is I think 0.15mm on the back of each cam lobe with the engine cold :?