Replacing wishbone/bottom arm....

W

wizgti

Hi I need swap my wishbone/bottom arm for a new one as I bent my old one :oops:

Does anybody know what it involves-does it need any special tools?
Anything to watch out for?

As much info as possible please guys cos it looks like I may have to do it myself due the part arriving really really late :evil: and my local garage will probably be closed!

Thanks
Andrew

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think the only tricky bit could be if it comes without bushes fitted, if they're in, it should be a nut and bolt job. As long as that's all you bent. :shock: Bottom ball joints can sometimes be abit stubborn to move.
When you put it all back together, you should do the final torquing with the wheels on the ground, but access might not be so good for that. :?

W

wizgti

Thanks for the reply-I've been outside to have a look and to be honest I don't feel safe doing that with just a jack supporting the car!

I'll just have to wait until I can get it in at a garage!

Ta
Andrew

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
A jack and two axle stands and you should be fine. You should never use a jack on it's own tho.
(He says trying to practice what he preaches :oops: )

A

Anonymous

The rear bush is an absolute nightmare to remove .I would order a new one as if its an original you are trying to remove from the wishbone forget it without damaging it not even worth the fight. While your doing this job might be worth fitting the whiteline kit at the rear rather than just ordering standard bush :wink:

skiddusmarkus

You might need a ball joint splitter but a long bar can work too_Other than that-jack(trolley,not scissor)and axle stands.
As you're replacing the whole wishbone-it would be a good idea to fit the poly bushes available if you're after better handling.This way it doesn't have to come off again.Downside is you'd have to do the other side too though.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
ashills said:
u will ruin the wish bone rear bushes getting them off better order some poly ones from me LOL
Won't you just!!!! :?
Just taken mine off today, I had to cut it off :shock: cos it was going no where fast.

W

wizgti

Got me mechanic to do it today!!

Thank FCUK I didn't try it as it took him 4 hours to do it and he is really shit hot! Mine was slightly bent but hey!

Ta for all the info guys

Andrew

BenD

4 Hours!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

i replaced my lower arm with a new one in about 2 hours on my drive yesterday morning :shock: :shock: