Replacing Standard Tubby Elbow

dotalot

Read quite a few posts now stating that the standard tubby elbow is very restrictive, and as ive already fitted a full 3" mongoose i'd like to replace it. Is there a direct fit replacement available???

dotalot

Well its a mongoose anyway I just presumed it was a 3", but I expect its still big enough for the elbow to be restricting my flow. So any ideas???

projectgtir

The best thing to do is get one custom made by a good fabricator .I brought an already made one from austrailia (Am performance)all in cost around £280 inc customs charge. It fitted ok at the turbo but vibrates as it rubs/fouls the front Arb .It also had holes in the flexi pipe after a week. There were definate gains though ,at the time of fitting i had the standard 14" wheels on my car and when it came on boost it broke traction in first and sometimes second in the dry .I personally recommed a 3" elbow just not an am performance one .

dotalot

The best thing to do is get one custom made by a good fabricator .I brought an already made one from austrailia (Am performance)all in cost around £280 inc customs charge. It fitted ok at the turbo but vibrates as it rubs/fouls the front Arb .It also had holes in the flexi pipe after a week. There were definate gains though ,at the time of fitting i had the standard 14" wheels on my car and when it came on boost it broke traction in first and sometimes second in the dry .I personally recommed a 3" elbow just not an am performance one .
Yeah prob will end up having to get one made, its looking that way as I cant find anything thats direct fit. Ill just keep my eyes open on here and ebay for the time being.

dotalot

what's the rest of the car's spec?
Standard at the minute, iv only had this latest one a week. My last car was making 320 horse and near standard. Im planning on tuning this one and my final aim is for as close to 400 as I can get.
Just seen a few posts on here mentioning the elbow as being very restrictive.

dotalot

Yeah seen that, it looks the business but its expensive and Im still hoping to come by a replacement elbow alone. Or failing that get one made.
Im gonna be adding to this car bit by bit as I cant afford to just build it to spec all in one go, and the next big money I spend will be on engine management. Best place to start I reckon.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Its worth doing then you must reckon???
I don't reckon, I'm going from 1st hand experience of having one :thumb:

It would be worth having at least a 3" elbow and downpipe (to the cat) to aid flow from the turbo.

You'll notice better spool and it sets you up for further modifications down the line.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Does yours have a separate pipe for the wastegate or is that not really neccessary???
No not really, it’s just a 3" elbow.

I don't understand why some come with a separate wastegate sections that are plumbed in? Its not true 3" elbow and some still look restrictive.