Removing rear towing eye/hook

youngsyp

Chaps,

My rear towing eye/hook is starting to bubble up with rust so, I want to remove it and either refurb it or, just leave it off. I've had a look up under where it looks to be attached and can't see how to remove it.

Does anybody have an idea how to take it off ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

GTi-R23

Can't you just sand/wire brush it down and re-paint it? Take the rear bumper off to get good access to it.

I personally want all the means of towing my R to remain, god only knows when they will be needed :lol:

youngsyp

GTi-R23 said:
Can't you just sand/wire brush it down and re-paint it? Take the rear bumper off to get good access to it.

I personally want all the means of towing my R to remain, god only knows when they will be needed :lol:
As I see it, I'll only need the tow eyes/hooks if the car was in a ditch, and need to be dragged out. :lol:
If that were the case, it would be terminal so, they could pull it out by any means possible and any more damaged caused, I wouldn't be worried about.

In my view, they're just excess weight and in the rear ones case, on my car, it's and eye sore too !

GTi-R23

A rear one came in handy for me the other day, I was towing the missus 306 to the scrappy (me in the 306) when the front wheel decided it was time to remove itself from the car doing 30mph.

Scrap man had to come and drag it backawards onto the lorry as the front end was wedged nicely into the ground.

Although like you say, if it comes to the crunch (excuse the pun) and to be towed from the rear is the only option, then anywhere will do.

Can't remeber how it is attached, thought the rear one was just welded on somehow, I reckon cutting it off would be the best way. Not sure how much weight it'll save, but if it looks ugly then it's upto you

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Don't they use the rear hook on a RR? I can't remember but the last time I think the car was lashed down from all sorts of points.

antgtir

campbellju said:
Don't they use the rear hook on a RR? I can't remember but the last time I think the car was lashed down from all sorts of points.
Your not wrong me old chum, tis a good hook for the RR guys, maybe thats what Nissan were thinking:lol:

Ant.

antgtir

shame that way of thinking didnt carry through to the positioning of some of the consumables within the engine bay lol :rolleyes:

Ant.

GTi-R23

Agreed, I think every single item within the engine bay was designed to be a consumable. A quick release head would be cool, as would a clip on g'box.

O

Odin

MINESGTIR said:
yup the powdercoat will flake off with being towed

Well I've owned the car 6 years and have never needed to be towed yet, So I'm not to bothered.

Rob