removing power steering

A

antilag

im revoming the power steering can anyone tell me if its ok to just take the pump off and lines and block the lines or recirculate the lines

ill b making a tensioner in place of the power steering pulley

Davey

Dave gets bored very easily, and hasnt got enough to keep him busy before totb :wink:
Seriously though m8, why are you taking it off? :shock: :?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You'll find the steering very heavy at slow spped/parking if you do take it off. :( I hope you have biceps like Mr Schwarzawotsit :wink:

If you are going to remove it (permanently) then I'd swap the whole rack.
You could always try and fit a bigger pulley. It won't save any weight, but it will cut down the losses incurred by the engine abit, but then in the same vein you could fit a remote electric water pump for similar savings. :p

J

J-GTi-R

I agree with Fast Guy, I drove a mate's 'R that the powersteering pump had packed up on and feck me was I sweating afterwards. At parking speeds it was almost impossible to turn the wheel and only marginally better on the move... :shock:

S

Sirnixalot

the reason it was so hard to steer is because the fluid was still in the lines (least i am guessing)

you bleed the system and loop the lines on the rack and it wil lbe alot easier to turn

also dave
you wont be able to just remove the pump
as you will see the pump is actually the belt tensioner as well. You will have to run an electric water pump to remove the power steering pump.

Removing the power steering pump and lines will shave 10lbs or approx. 4kg

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The wifes old car on 185/60/14 tyres with a lighter front end than ours was also realy heavy on the steering, so I'm guessing that even swapping the rack and with say 205 tyres at least and all that weight up front, he won't need steroids to build his biceps up. :wink:

A

antilag

ok then any other ideas to lose weight..hold on i'll start another post hee hee

S

Sirnixalot

if you can stand the road noise...remove the sound deadening...i lost around 18-20kg of the shit

J

J-GTi-R

Cut the floors out around the chassis rails, that should save a few kgs, lol.

A

antilag

i think its gota b the lightest in the country already? i really have got rid of most things so far just hoping sumone mite b able to point out summin i missed

nismoboy

how about the brake ducts behind the front bumper they weigh a fair bit.
fuel cap for a lighter one.
remove number plate and replace with a sticker plate.
single wiper conversion.
head rests.
ariel.
dust caps.
lighter wing mirrors.